ABC Commission rejects settlement with La Residence

UPDATE: 12:09 p.m., Oct. 14

The ABC Commission rejected the proposed settlement on the table for La Residence at their October meeting today. 

According to a release from the meeting, the commission decided "a stronger penalty would be appropriate." The commission asked staff members to work on negotiating a new settlement with La Residence.

La Residence has signed their offer of compromise from the North Carolina ABC Commission and has agreed to either pay a $5,000 fine or lose their ABC permits for 50 days, according to the commission. 

If the business doesn't pay the fine on or before Nov. 6, its ABC permits will be suspended for 50 days starting on Nov. 13, according to the signed compromise documents. This compromise will be finalized after the ABC Commission ratifies the offer, on the agenda for Wednesday's commission meeting. 

La Residence was one of two businesses where authorities say former UNC student Chandler Kania purchased alcohol underage before driving the wrong way down I-85 and hit a car head-on, killing three people. 

The commission sent notices of allegation to both La Residence and He's Not Here, the other business where police say Kania purchased alcohol underage, in September. 

The ABC Commission has not yet received an offer of compromise from He's Not Here, said Agnes Stevens, a spokesperson for the ABC Commission, in an email.

"The matter will most likely be heard by an administrative law judge, but the judge's calendar has not yet been set," Stevens said in an email.