Letter: Background checks would not hurt poor

Dear Tuck Kennedy,

I find your rationale in your letter to The Daily Tar Heel in response to gun laws offensive and very condescending toward “the poor” and those classified as minorities. (No doubt you mean those of color.)

You state that the whole notion of universal background checks and confiscating illegally purchased guns would “hinder” the poor and minorities’ ability to possess and purchase guns. By this comment, we can assume that you are, in effect, blanketing the poor and those of color as people who would have problems passing background checks. In essence you are saying those who would not pass these checks come from poor areas. Is that not a huge stereotype?

I would also like to say that the person who committed this mass shooting in Oregon and the kid who murdered the innocent people at Sandy Hook had one thing eerily in common: they had a mother who stockpiled weapons and ammo. Also, both of these murderers had unstable mental issues before the shootings, and their mothers knew it. Yet the mothers felt it was acceptable for their sons to have easy access to guns in their own home. There is something really wrong with that.

You are also very wrong to state the idea that gun laws would allow guns to be taken from those who legally own one. That is false — even assault rifle owners who legally purchased their guns and clips would not be affected. Only people who would be affected by stricter gun laws would be those who are purchasing after the laws are instated. You are using the fearmongering tactics of the National Rifle Association and gun advocates.

I personally feel that universal background checks as well as limits on what type of guns and ammo a private citizen can own is logically what we need. I ask you: What is more important? The comfort and safety of those in public places, or your warped idea that anyone and everyone should pack whatever they want with no way of knowing if they legally own the gun or qualify to own the gun? I personally don’t want to stroll down a street not knowing if the fool with a gun is sane or legally able to carry.

Kathy D. Morgan

Chapel Hill