Letter: Privatization will hurt UNC community

The privatization of Student Stores, if allowed to go through, will cause irreparable damage to the UNC community, its students, its faculty and the state of North Carolina. The privatization bid cannot possibly be seen as a cost-cutting move, because UNC Student Stores is self-sufficient: 100 percent of its operating costs are funded through sales revenue. With its profits, Student Stores not only contributes hundreds of thousands of dollars directly to scholarships, but also employs 200 nonwork-study students, which accounts for over half a million dollars in students’ pockets.

The University is considering replacing an institution that has spent the past 100 years proving its commitment to the public good with an outside corporation that will contribute what is required to win the bid — and keep the rest.

A business orients itself with the goal of attaining profit for the business owners. In contrast, UNC Student Stores makes decisions with the primary goal of helping students. UNC has been trusted with the education of the citizens of the state and the futures of its students. This education and these futures are too important to sell to the highest bidder.

Sam DeHority

Student Action 

with Workers