Letter: ​What’s good, Houston?

Does it bother you that I criticize you publicly? Do you feel entitled to my submission? I owe you nothing.

Do you see my male peers as my superiors? Am I not capable of representing myself? Approaching my co-president on a matter between you and me is childish.

Lastly, do you really think that anyone wants or needs your advice on “how (the Real Silent Sam Coalition) can be more effective?” Numerous times I have heard you claim the renaming of Saunders Hall as your success. You are the white man in power here, erasing voices of black and brown women on this campus.

Men in power have long been threatening those who criticize the racist structures that sustain this University. After posting a video of you at University Day with the caption “what’s good?” you found it appropriate to 1) question my integrity and complain about your exclusion from RSS 2) share our private messages with your colleagues, who 3) called my co-president asking for advice on what do to with me.

Student government is involved in the surveillance and censorship of the people who they allege to represent. This should frighten and anger us. Just as Charles Duckett harassed an opinion writer for criticizing the UNC Board of Trustees, Houston Summers goes out of his way to undermine my position in the Campus Y and plead for my silence.

I have no interest in feeding a white man’s ego.

Juliana Ritter

Co-president

Campus Y