New student organization brings film to UNC

Launched on Aug. 21, the Carolina Film Association is the brainchild of UNC junior Prakash Kadiri. During the summer, Kadiri took over the then-called Carolina Production Guild and remodeled the group into a vision he’d had for years.

“I wanted to create an organization that would enable students to work on their cinematic craft on a higher level,” he said.

Carolina Film Association is broken down into two major boards: the Executive Board of Officers, which includes Kadiri as president, and the Board of Executive Producers.

The Board of Executive Producers is broken down into directors, producers, writers, editors, cinematographers and actors guilds, respectively.

Each guild is headed by an more experienced student, but other members are free to join multiple guilds. Members must participate in one project per their respective guild.

The process of film production begins with the writers guild. Scripts are written and sent to the Board of Officers to determine which projects will move forward.

From there, approved scripts are sent to the producers guild, where producers generally have access to the rest of the guilds. Producers choose the projects they’d like to work on and then reach out to directors, actors, editors and cinematographers interested in the projects.

Although it’s new, Carolina Film Association is gaining momentum quickly around campus. With 100 members already, CFA is hosting Campus MovieFest, a film festival that gives students one week to create a five-minute film with provided equipment

After deliberation by a panel of judges, the top 16 films will be narrowed down to the top four, which will go on to be showcased at a campus red carpet event. The filmmakers of the top four will travel to Hollywood for the Campus MovieFest Finale, which includes workshops, screenings, and awards presented by industry luminaries.

Carolina Film Association is operating completely free of university funding this semester and is using equipment provided by members. The organization will file for financial support from Student Congress next semester.

Sarah Lanning, the club’s secretary, believes the club is a fantastic addition to student life at UNC.

“There are no restrictions and no guidelines (to film),” she said. “It’s not standardized, so you become open to whatever. The people who create film are the people who create culture, and that’s really awesome.”

And the demand is certainly being felt by UNC’s student body. Junior religious studies major Carolina Valder said she didn’t know much about the Carolina Film Association or Campus MovieFest, but would appreciate more arts at UNC.

“I don’t know much about (film) at UNC but I would like to see UNC having a more arts- and film-centered campus.”