Nickelodeon presidential picks rarely fail

Pundits and analysts might have a hard time analyzing polls, but for six of the past seven presidential elections, the Nickelodeon kids vote has accurately predicted the winner.

Nickelodeon created the "Kids Pick the President" program in 1988, and the only election where the kids vote didn't predict the winner was in 2004 with Former President George W. Bush and former Sen. John Kerry, D-M.A. The most recent election in 2012 had more than 521,000 children's votes cast. 

"These votes are primarily those of the adults though," said Susan MacManus, professor of political science at the University of South Florida. "Whether it be grandma or parents or anyone older talking about politics.”

MacManus said kids vote like their parents, and the reason the poll has been so predictive is because of those who watch the channel.

“Kids watching these shows are coming from well-educated families,” she said. “They’re watching an educational program, so their families are much more likely to be educationally-oriented. There’s a clear straight line between education level and turnout.”

Abby Kiesa, youth coordinator and researcher at the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, said the Nickelodeon campaign is a good opportunity for kids to get involved, but she was concerned about who these programs effected.

“One of the issues around civic education in schools is that it is disproportionally distributed,” she said. “Wealthier districts are more likely to have access to higher quality civic education.”

But MacManus said she thinks programs that give kids an opportunity to vote are important in getting kids involved in civic education early.

“(These programs are) instilling in children that voting is fun, voting is choice, and you shouldn’t be afraid of the equipment you are going to use," she said.

She said no age is too early to learn about civics and voting.

"This concept and choice is integral to democracy and makes it easier to appeal to (children) and grab their interests as they get older because it is something that they personally experienced," she said.

Grace Buie, a UNC sophomore, said programs that encourage early civic action are excellent.

“I think it’s really important to make voting a habit," she said.” I think kid voting programs do just that. I did kid voting all throughout my childhood. When my parents voted, I’d be right next to them. They show kids how important voting is from a very early age."

UNC sophomore Idalis Payne Mason also participated in kid voting polls.

“It was a kids voting thing,” she said. “It covered state and national elections. I even volunteered for it at the elementary school I went to one year when I got into middle school. I remember doing it every major election year.”