Opinion: N.C. legislators have superb voting records

The North Carolina chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union recently released their 2015 Legislative Report Card, which details how each member of the General Assembly voted on five key bills related to civil liberties.

Representatives Verla Insko and Graig R. Meyer both voted the right way on all five of these bills, and Sen. Valerie P. Foushee did the same.

This editorial board often criticizes the General Assembly without noting the superb efforts of local legislators. They should be praised for their steadfast commitment to progressive values.

Some of the more egregious measures Orange County representatives opposed are as follows:

A last-minute insertion in HB 279 would have stripped local governments of their ability to pass anti-discrimination ordinances related to employment, housing and public accommodations, but that provision was thankfully killed before the bill became law.

SB 2 allows magistrates to opt-out of conducting marriages for legally eligible couples.

HB 318 will prohibit local governments from adopting sanctuary ordinances that limit enforcement of immigration laws unless Gov. Pat McCrory vetoes the bill.

Sadly, in Orange County, our legislators are often part of the minority and were not able to defeat many of the ill-conceived bills passed this session.

At a time when the General Assembly is constantly trying to tamper and strip state residents of their civil liberties, Orange County voters can find comfort in knowing that those elected to represent them have done so faithfully.