Opinion: No right turns on red addresses the wrong problems

A recent suggestion by Chapel Hill Town Council addresses a wide concern about the town’s walkability. Council member George Cianciolo wants right turns at red lights gone from busy downtown intersections. While this suggestion has the best intention for the town’s citizens at heart, it is not the ultimate solution for Chapel Hill’s pedestrians to feel safe.

The state’s transportation department data suggests only two accidents involving pedestrians and right turns on red occurred between 1997 and 2012 in Chapel Hill. Though this data does not tell the whole story — plenty of pedestrians may feel like turning vehicles create a hostile environment — it indicates that there are bigger issues regarding walkability at hand the town can address.

The conversation that should be taking place revolves on improving the town’s most utilized pedestrian infrastructure. The town’s comprehensive plans discuss walkability prominently.

So far, the low hanging fruit has been picked. Long Range and Transportation Planning Manager David Bonk says vegetation is regularly cleared from sidewalks and more projects that do not require new construction are being identified.

Chapel Hill’s pedestrian plan will be written as soon as a consultant is chosen. That plan must comprehensively address the infrastructural needs of Chapel Hill, a generally pedestrian-unfriendly town.

Human behavior is a reflection of the built environment. When pedestrians have to wait three minutes to “legally” cross Columbia from West to East Rosemary, they will choose to cross regardless of the light. Further, waiting downtown becomes more unpleasant when trees are removed along Franklin Street.

Chapel Hill is using the buzzwords such as complete streets, mode share and greenways in its plans.

But actually creating the concepts behind those words relies on the success of the upcoming bond, which would allocate $16.2 million to streets and sidewalks. The federal government has historically underfunded transportation infrastructure not related to the car and continues to do so today even though more people are walking more frequently.

It is disheartening that we must ask residents to raise their local taxes for decent infrastructure, but with an incapable Congress, there is little recourse otherwise.

Chapel Hill is at a turning point. It will either address the root of the issue of walkability in the town, or will continue pursing half measures. The former is more likely to make this town a healthier, happier and safer community in the future.