Opinion: Students should explore all on-campus options

Students have had trouble with Chapel Ridge’s management, Stratford Hills and Stratford Apartments don’t come furnished, and when winter weather hits, climbing the hill from Town House Apartments is not ideal. So why do so many students move off campus beginning sophomore year?

The most common answer is probably that off-campus living can be cheaper than on-campus living. And this editorial board gets that. Part of college is learning how to make that last $15 in your bank account count — Cosmic Cantina and the Yogurt Pump.

But for those who are on the fence about living on or off campus, they should consider applying to live in a Residential Learning Program (formerly Living-Learning Communities, or LLCs). It’s just one way to challenge whether cheaper rent is worth the summer subletting woes or passing up a residence hall’s convenience.

Beginning in the fall of 2016, the Department of Housing and Residential Education said it will be rolling out a few new programs, including one for members of the LGBT community and the ROTC community. Innovators and entrepreneurs might even have their own on-campus living community as soon as Fall 2017, if current early-stage talks between housing and the Kenan-Flagler Business School become reality.

And there are already the existing nine RLPs.

The new projects, and other projects currently being considered, such as renovating several kitchens in North Campus residence halls in the coming year or two, are all part of the housing department’s campaign to earn UNC students’ love. Because students matter.

Students matter so much to the housing department, in fact, because they make up its primary revenue source. So as more students move off campus — and as long as the department doesn’t receive state funding — the money it has to begin projects like new RLPs and gourmet kitchens is dwindling.

Rick Bradley, associate director of housing and residential education, said in an interview that the housing department would like to be able to take on larger projects. In the past, its ideas have included total renovations of community-style residence halls into suite-style halls and building a new residence hall on South Campus.

These ideas were based directly on student feedback, but the housing department didn’t have the funding to make either work. This can change.

Simply deciding to live on campus can make an impact on the quality of how everyone else lives.

The on-campus life isn’t for everyone. But students should give serious consideration to residence halls that are on campus and surround themselves with people who share the same interests and goals. It seems like a good deal.