Opinion: UNC should enact new policy fighting substance abuse

With almost an eighth of American college students meeting the medical definition for substance abuse or dependency, something has to be done at the university level to facilitate a change in culture.

The High Risk Alcohol and Substance Abuse Working Group is trying to do just that at UNC. The working group, part of the University’s efforts to combat binge drinking on campus, recently reported that its plans for a new policy regarding substance abuse would most likely be ready by the end of the semester.

Discussions from members of the working group indicate the policy recommendation will emphasize aid over disciplinary action. It should be a comprehensive approach to combating substance abuse on campus — including training, intervention programs and student protection. For that reason, it should be incorporated into the University’s policies, if the substance of the policy reflects the stated priorities of the members of the working group.

The High Risk Alcohol and Substance Abuse Working Group does not have the power to make this the University’s policy. Instead, the working group can only make recommendations.

This policy seems to have the best interests of students in mind and give them the resources they need to overcome substance abuse. If the administration adopts a comprehensive policy, it will be an active step in changing the binge-drinking culture on campus.

Resources for students struggling with substance abuse must be made available if there is to be change in the number of college students who abuse alcohol and other substances, such as illegal drugs and prescription medication.

Currently, college students are three times more likely to abuse or be dependent on drugs or alcohol than the general population.

Fortunately, the recommendation of the working group appears to be multifaceted: extending the safe-harbor provision for students who seek help; expanding existing programs counseling students who face second and third alcohol violations; and training community directors, medical personnel, professors and campus leaders to recognize substance abuse before it affects students’ academic or legal records.

This policy recommendation seems it will bring together intervention, aid and continued programs that students need to overcome substance abuse.

Almost half of college student substance abuse treatment involves treating alcohol-related substance abuse.

In light of last year’s commitment to combat the binge-drinking culture, the University must take the necessary steps — both to prevent and to help students in the case of substance abuse.

The working group appears to be making significant progress toward these goals; the University should adopt its recommendations if the end policy reflects the group’s constructive conversations so far.