Orange County goes silent for Carl Fox

Friends and family of former Superior Court Judge Carl Fox called for a moment of silence and prayer in support of his recovery. Fox, who was diagnosed with blood cancer in April, underwent a cord blood transplant last week. He is in need of a bone marrow transplant, but there is no match in the registry at this time.

Ever since he was diagnosed, Fox has led a campaign to encourage more people to add themselves to the bone marrow donor registry to help others in need.

The moment of silence today will support Fox and aims to spread awareness about those in need of a bone marrow transplant.

Earl McKee, chairperson of the Orange County Board of Commissioners, said he supports the moment of silence and respects Fox as someone who has served Orange County and the surrounding area for many years.

“He has always impressed me as being someone who is fair,” McKee said.

“He is very concerned with individuals in situations whether they are before him in the courtroom or the community. He is very thoughtful in his comments and stances.”

McKee said the moment of silence highlights the situation that Fox and others like him are facing. McKee also hopes that the prayers might do even more for Fox than spread awareness in the community.

“Hopefully miracles happen,” McKee said. “Maybe that (moment of silence) can play into that, and even if it doesn’t, it’ll create heightened awareness of the difficult situation that he and others are facing.”

Chapel Hill Town Council member Lee Storrow said the moment of silence is a great way to raise awareness for increasing the amount of people registered as bone marrow donors.

He mentioned the importance of how Fox has used his influence and prominence in the community to spread awareness about his illness and people facing similar challenges as himself.

“I think it’s really powerful and really valuable that he’s been willing to be honest in public,” Storrow said.

First-year student Alex Vergara supports the moment of silence and said it’s important to the community because it spreads awareness.

“That’s a pretty amazing thing that he had to retire over something that’s taken over his life,” Vergara said. “He’s taking a stand to help other people; it’s extending beyond himself.”

All in the community are encouraged to support Fox and participate in the moment of silence throughout Orange County.

@alexisa1025

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition