Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

‘Steve Jobs’ movie premieres early at the Varsity

Starring Michael Fassbender, Kate Winslet and Seth Rogen, the movie is the latest in a string of Jobs biopics and documentaries since 2011. Its release coincides with the fourth anniversary of the CEO’s death and has already been the subject of both praise and controversy within the entertainment and tech world.

UNC students will be among the first to view the film, according to Universal’s campus liaison, senior Max Levin.

“The other really exciting thing is that it’s coming out here before the Hollywood and New York premiere, so students that see it (tonight) are going to be some of the first people in the whole world to see the movie,” he said.

“Only people that were at film festivals or some film critics will have seen it by tomorrow — it’s pretty advanced.”

Levin said he anticipates a successful run for the film.

“First of all, it’s going to be an incredible movie. It’s gonna be one of their biggest movies of the year, I think,” he said.

Levin also said the movie boasts a decorated writing and production team, including writer Aaron Sorkin and producer Danny Boyle — both Academy Award winners — and “Game of Thrones” co-executive producer, Guymon Casady, who has won an Emmy Award.

“It’s got an incredible cast, an incredible director, an incredible screenwriter,” Levin said.

Varsity owner Paul Shareshian said while Universal pays for the screenings to be held at the Varsity, Shareshian said there are other benefits as well.

“You know, between 150 and 200 people come and see the movie, which is good for the business anyway. We like to be busy and stuff like that,” he said.

But the timing of the screening isn’t ideal for most students, who may be too busy studying for midterms.

“Fall break is coming up soon, so this week, a lot of midterms are happening, and grades are getting in before fall break,” said first-year Leah LeClair.

But Shareshian said college students will appreciate the fact that the screening is free.

“It’s cheap — you’re getting the same quality and everything else that you’d pay $12 for to go to Southpoint, or the price ranges of the other places around,” he said.

“I think it’s good for us because they realize the proximity — they see the place, and it makes sense.”

@rachelisbeyonce