UNC field hockey suffers second defeat of season in 3-2 loss to Wake Forest

The No. 3 North Carolina field hockey team fell to No. 7 Wake Forest on Friday by a score of 3-2. UNC made a comeback toward the end of the game, but ultimately came up short — resulting in its second loss of the season. 

Wake Forest (11-4, 4-2 ACC) opened the scoring just over two minutes into the match, then struck again about six minutes later. In the 26th minute, the Demon Deacons extended their lead to three on a penalty stroke by Jess Newak. 

UNC (13-2, 4-2 ACC) was unable to enter the scoring column until less than 10 minutes remained in the contest. In the 63rd minute, senior Nina Notman put the ball into the back of the cage off of a penalty corner. Just over five minutes later, Notman found the mark again, putting a shot off of a Wake Forest defender and past the goalkeeper. 

But the Tar Heels' final push came to late, as North Carolina fell to the Demon Deacons 3-2.

Quotable

“We knew this would be a very important ACC game, but we didn’t play well the first 10 minutes of the game. I feel like I have some responsibility, the Friday game time was difficult and we were tight on time. We should have had time to relax and catch our breath before the game.” — Coach Karen Shelton on her team's performance. 

Notable

The Tar Heels trailed in the first half for the first time this season after Wake Forest's goal off of a penalty corner in the third minute. The Demon Deacons would go on to grab two more goals in the first period, and led UNC 3-0 at the half. 

Three numbers that matter

22: North Carolina amassed 22 shots against the Demon Deacons. Wake Forest only managed 10. 

57.1: UNC goalkeeper Shannon Johnson stopped just four of the seven shots on goal by Wake Forest, good for a 57.1 percent save percentage. 

12: The Tar Heels earned 12 penalty corners Friday, one of which led to UNC's first goal of the match. 

What’s next?

UNC will host Liberty at 7 p.m. on Thursday. 

@junabug