UNC football likes its chances on third down this season

Playmakers Preview
Playmakers Preview

But for the North Carolina football team, 50 percent makes it one of the best teams in the nation at converting on third down.

UNC currently ranks fourth in the country in third-down conversion percentage, moving the chains at a 50.7 percent clip.

That’s a 40-spot improvement from 2014, when it tied for the 44th slot with a 42.4 percent conversion rate.

“We’re taking it much more serious this year,” said senior wide receiver Quinshad Davis.

“We know we have to keep the chains moving, we know we have to get the offense going, and we know we need first downs,” he said.

“First downs equal touchdowns.”

Converting on third down has been a big point of emphasis for the UNC coaching staff. They are devoting more sessions to third-down situations in practice, and the results are showing so far this season.

“It makes it easier in the game when you have a lot of pressure on you in practice,” Davis said

For a team that likes to operate as fast on offense as UNC, converting third downs are critical to keeping the offense on the field. What amounts to a coin-flip chance to keep driving doesn’t seem like much, but it is miles ahead of where UNC has been the past decade, never breaking 43 percent.

“They’re tough,” said assistant head coach Seth Littrell on third downs. “If you average 48, 49, 50 percent, you’re pretty good. You’re one of the top in the country.”

In addition to converting third downs at a historic pace, the Tar Heels are also facing fewer third downs than they have in the past.

So far in 2015, they average slightly more than 11 third downs per game. In 2014, they averaged 15.2.

Littrell said the team’s better running game has played a large role in that drop.

The Tar Heels boast one of the most experienced offensive lines in the country, and Littrell said they’ve stepped their game up as a whole this year.

Sophomore running back Elijah Hood has also made a massive improvement since his first season, averaging 6.9 yards per carry as opposed to 3.9. His physical running style makes things easier for the offense.

“That’s one thing I’ve noticed about the running backs this year,” redshirt senior guard Landon Turner said. “They’re running tougher, and they’re getting extra yards out of that.”

Littrell stresses there remains room for improvement — specifically pointing out converting on third-and-short as an area where the Tar Heels need to get better.

But for an offense already scoring more than 40 points per game, just keeping up the pace they’ve already set will keep drives alive and put points on the board.

@loganulrich