UNC football prepares for Georgia Tech

The UNC football team dominated over Illinois on Saturday afternoon with a score of 48 to 14.

According to Coach Larry Fedora, this is going to be the most difficult matchup of the 2015 season for UNC, and possibly the first real test for defensive coordinator Gene Chizik’s 4-3 base defense.

“It’ll be the biggest test that we’ve faced because of what they do offensively,” said Fedora after Wednesday’s practice.

Here are some things to look for in Saturday’s game, which kicks off at 3:30 p.m on ESPNU.

1. Can UNC stop the triple-option?

Georgia Tech is notoriously a running team, and so far this season that hasn’t changed, as the Yellow Jackets are sixth in the nation with 326 yards on the ground per game. North Carolina has some work to do in that area — the Tar Heels are giving up 228.8 rushing yards per game, which is 113th in the country.

2. Marquise Williams and/or Mitch Trubisky under center?

Fedora has said all week that redshirt senior Marquise Williams is the team’s starting quarterback. But after pulling Williams in the second quarter of Saturday’s win over Delaware in favor of redshirt sophomore Mitch Trubisky, it looks like the faith in Williams isn’t the same as it was entering the season. And Trubisky certainly made a case for the starting position after throwing for 312 yards and four touchdowns.

3. Can the streak be broken?

UNC hasn’t won at Georgia Tech since 1997, and while the coaching staff has talked about how this year’s team is different, the Tar Heels’ struggles against the Yellow Jackets are well documented. Since Fedora arrived at North Carolina in 2012, Georgia Tech has averaged 542 yards per game and 46 points per game against UNC.

4. How will Georgia Tech look after back-to-back losses?

While losing to No. 6 Notre Dame was far from an upset, the Yellow Jackets’ 34-20 loss a week ago at the hands of Duke fit the bill. With Georgia Tech back at home for the first time in three weeks and looking to avoid three-straight losses, it could be hard to see this team coming out flat.

5. Can UNC learn anything from Notre Dame’s and Duke’s performances?

When asked what he took away from the Blue Devils’ win a week ago, Chizik emphasized the physicality and discipline he saw from Duke. The Tar Heels will have to replicate that this week if they want to come away with a win. Getting in the right position, sticking with assignments and fighting through blocks are a must against Coach Paul Johnson’s offense.

“Paul (Johnson is) going to find a weakness, I mean he does a really good job with their offense ... He’s got answers to basically everything you do,” Fedora said.

6. How about that weather?

With heavy wind and rain predicted for this one, don’t be surprised if both teams throw the ball less often than usual. While at first glance this might seem to favor the Yellow Jackets — who are averaging 6.07 yards per rush — UNC has found a solid running game of its own with Elijah Hood and an improved offensive line. So far this season the Tar Heels have averaged 5.83 yards per rush.

@CarlosACollazo