UNC linebacker Shakeel Rashad tackles new position with ease

Transitioning from playing the bandit position in UNC’s 4-2-5 scheme in 2014, Rashad has excelled as an outside linebacker this season. The senior is currently third on the team in tackles, second in turnovers forced and tied for first in tackles-for-loss.

And after notching two tackles in each of his first two games, Rashad has amassed 18 tackles in the previous two contests — matching his entire 2014 season total.

“That’s what Shak does,” said sophomore linebacker Cayson Collins. “He continues to surprise a lot of players, especially a lot of the coaches, with his play on the field.”

But for every success, Rashad notes a failure.

Despite forcing two turnovers in the Tar Heels’ home-opening victory against North Carolina A&T — earning him ACC Linebacker of the Week honors — Rashad remembers dropping an interception later in the contest.

And after tallying a career-high 10 tackles in UNC’s blowout win over Delaware, Rashad recalls being out of position in pursuit of his 11th.

“I’m still learning the position, so by no means do I feel like I’ve ‘made it’ at this new position,” he said. “I really feel like I still have a ton to grow.”

Still adjusting to his new role, the senior said he is seeing the game better than ever before, something he attributes to age and extra film sessions.

But against the complex triple-option scheme of Georgia Tech — a team Rashad has faced twice before — no amount of preparation can match prior experience.

“You can simulate it with scout team, you can simulate it in there watching film,” he said. “But there’s really nothing like just being out there.”

For Saturday’s matchup in Atlanta, where the Tar Heels haven’t won since 1997, the senior’s leadership will prove invaluable.

“He’s going to have to play well,” Coach Larry Fedora said. “All those linebackers are.”

Rashad has guided his younger teammates in preparation of this weekend’s action, pointing out the nuances of Georgia Tech’s offense to his less-experienced brethren.

And against the nation’s sixth-ranked rushing attack, Rashad knows he and his teammates must swarm to their gaps to prevent the Yellow Jackets from zipping through the UNC defense.

“If it’s my responsibility to tackle the fullback, I have to tackle the fullback whether or not he has the ball,” Rashad said. “I’m not worried about stats or anything.”

Despite Rashad’s indifference to his numbers, Collins credits his teammate’s impressive figures as a testament to his hard work. And with opportunities abound against a run-heavy Georgia Tech squad, Collins said he can foresee upward of 20 takedowns for the tackle-happy senior.

Rashad agrees — but only if the opportunity presents itself.

“If there’s 25 times when the guy I’m responsible for has the ball, I’m hoping to come out with 25 tackles,” he said with a smile.

“If there’s zero times when the guy I’m responsible for has the ball, I’ll have zero tackles. I’ve got to make sure I do my job.”

@CJacksonCowart