UNC men's soccer outlasts Northeastern with 1-0 win

Even while slipping and sliding through the rain, the No. 5 North Carolina men's soccer team (14-1-1, 6-1-0 ACC) outlasted both Mother Nature and a stout Northeastern defense for a 1-0 win at Fetzer Field on Tuesday night. 

Attendance was limited to 236 at Fetzer Field because of a torrential downpour both prior to and during the game. This put a damper on the senior night proceedings prior to the game, but did not affect a North Carolina team that looked the dominant side all night. 

Despite not scoring during the first half, North Carolina dictated the pace and finished with six shots to Northeastern’s four. This would portend what was to come in the second half, as North Carolina continued to control the ball and wear down a Northeastern side that only used two substitutes prior to the 90th minute. 

The match was tied in the 84th minute when forward Tucker Hume received the ball in the box, turned and fired the ball past Northeastern goalkeeper Jonathan Thuresson. The goal was assisted by midfielders Omar Holness and Alex Olofson, and effectively put the game to rest. 

For the remaining six minutes of the game, North Carolina continued to command the ball, with Northeastern only receiving one real scoring opportunity in the 90th minute. At the end of the match, North Carolina had 15 shots to Northeastern’s six, displaying the Tar Heels' superiority on the ball. 

Quotable

“The percentage of shots to goals in soccer is not high, generally speaking. You have to have no regret, no fear when you take shots.” – Coach Carlos Somoano on having 15 shots but only one goal during Tuesday's match. 

Notable

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Sam Euler picked up the clean sheet, the first of his career at Fetzer Field. 

Tuesday night was senior night for North Carolina, and six UNC players were honored. 

Three Numbers that Matter

12: Fouls committed by Northeastern on the night. Northeastern could not handle the speed of North Carolina’s forwards and midfielders, and eventually paid for it. 

9: Hume continued a great season with the game-winning goal in the 84th minute. Hume leads North Carolina in goals scored on the season. 

8: Corner kicks by North Carolina. UNC dominated the ball against Northeastern, and its ability to continuously put balls into the box culminated with Hume’s goal. 

What’s Next?

North Carolina travels to play at Virginia at 7 p.m. on Friday night with a chance to clinch the ACC regular-season title. 

@jetleli8