UNC prepares for punishing Pittsburgh rushing attack

But entering Thursday’s showdown with No. 23 Pittsburgh, UNC has gotten lucky. It won’t face Pittsburgh tailback James Conner — who gashed the Tar Heels for 220 yards and four touchdowns in 2014 — because of a season-ending knee injury suffered in the first game of the year.

“The way he’s played against us in the past, yeah, I’d say it’s good he’s not playing,” said defensive end Mikey Bart.

But there’s still work to do. Although the defense has improved — going from being ranked 118th in total defense in 2014 to 36th through seven games in 2015 — stopping the run has been an issue for the Tar Heels this season.

They allow over 200 yards per game to opposing rushers, including 205 yards to a Virginia team averaging 125. Although Pittsburgh averages only 171.7 yards rushing per game this season, the Panthers still present a dangerous matchup for UNC.

The team is committed to pounding teams on the ground, often using a goal line package with three tight ends at midfield.

“(They’re) muddy, physical,” said defensive line coach Tray Scott. “They do a good job of working their double team combos, really focusing on taking care of the first level.”

Multiple UNC players, especially along the defensive line, have missed time due to injuries. Often the replacements aren’t as experienced, which leads to mistakes and big plays for the opposition.

But the team hasn’t dwelled on what could have been.

“It’s our job to develop these guys,” Scott said. “At the end of the day, you can’t come in and complain about what you do or do not have.”

The development has started faster than expected for some. First-year defensive lineman Jalen Dalton made his debut against Wake Forest and recorded four tackles. Redshirt first-year defensive tackle Robert Dinkins also recorded four tackles against the Demon Deacons and has played in all seven games this season.

“We’re still beat up,” said defensive coordinator Gene Chizik. “But guys have stepped up. We’ve had guys stand in the gaps.”

Both Pittsburgh and UNC boast 6-1 records. With a potential Coastal Division championship on the line, it’ll be up to players like Dalton and Dinkins to hold their ground against the punishing Pittsburgh rushing attack — regardless of their expectations before the season.

“Those are the guys we’re going to go to battle with,” Chizik said.

@loganulrich