The No. 1 North Carolina women’s soccer team looked to be well on its way to continuing its undefeated season. 

The Tar Heels looked dominant to start the match against Louisville on Thursday, scoring the first goal of the game on a strike from sophomore Alex Kimball. But her goal was the lone score of the night for UNC, as North Carolina loss 2-1 in overtime. 

Kimball’s first point as a Tar Heel came against Pittsburgh in 2014 — a game that resulted in a 2-1 win. In a deadlocked contest, Kimball assisted on a goal by junior Emily Bruder. 

Now, a season later, Kimball was the one on the receiving end, as Bruder assisted Kimball on her goal in the 35th minute. The score marked Kimball's third goal of the season. 

While the midfielder scored to put the Tar Heels (11-1-1, 4-1-0 ACC) up, the rest of her team couldn’t. UNC failed to score in the second half, and Kimball’s goal was matched by a goal by Louisville (7-5-1, 3-2-0 ACC) in the 49th minute to send the game into overtime. 

UNC outshot Louisville 26-5 in regulation, but found itself in a deadlock when the clock hit 90 minutes. 

For the Cardinals, the next shot would decide the game.

Louisville’s only shot in overtime — coming off of a free kick — found the back of the net with nine seconds remaining in the first overtime period, handing the top-ranked Tar Heels their first loss of the season. 

Notable

Thursday's match marked the first ever meeting between UNC and Louisville. 

The Tar Heels' loss against the Cardinals was only the 59th match UNC has dropped since becoming a varsity program in 1979. 

Three numbers that matter

2: Lindsey Harris allowed two total goals in the second half and overtime, marking the most allowed by UNC in a single game this season. 

30: The Tar Heels finished with 30 shots in the game, but they only managed one goal.

9: Of UNC’s shots, nine were on target. That was more than the six total shots Louisville attempted in the entire game. 

What's next?

The Tar Heels will travel to Tallahassee, Florida, to face No. 2 Florida State at noon on Sunday. 

@_Brohammed