After service in military, UNC student gains perspective

Courtesy of Lacy Jo Evans. Evans, a soon to be graduate, served in the Marine Corps for four years prior to her enrollment in the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. 

She started at the University in August 2012 after serving on active duty in the Marine Corps for four years.

She was not from a military family, but she said the patriotic community and culture inspired her to join.

“I was wanting to serve my country in some shape or form, and I thought joining the military would kind of just be the greatest way,” Evans said.

During her time in the military, she was a heavy equipment operator. After training for three years, she went overseas to Afghanistan, and when she was discharged, she held the rank of corporal.

Evans was stationed in Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, N.C., so she was familiar with North Carolina when she applied to the University.

“I knew I would be using my GI Bill, so I figured I should go for one of the best educations I could get,” she said.

“I always loved the Tar Heels, but I never would have thought in a million years that I would have been to school here. The Marine Corps gave me the courage to apply.”

Evans started off as a psychology major, but she said she really found her niche after switching to the curriculum in Peace, War and Defense.

“Through it I found my community and the Carolina Veterans Organization,” she said. “I love the staff and faculty and my fellow students.”

She said her experience in the military has helped her make connections both inside and outside the classroom.

“One thing the military helped give me was a lot of different perspectives on things to different cultures,” she said. “I’ve been able to connect to people I wouldn’t think on the outside I would have anything in common with.”

Her boyfriend of two years, Chris Lapolice — also a military veteran — said the military has allowed Evans to find her passion in life.

“She’s very veterans-oriented and wants to help veterans — she thinks veterans should be a number one priority,” Lapolice said. “Being a veteran has opened her up to help these people find their path in the future.”

Evans also met her best friend, Rachael Henderson, during her time in the military.

“She’s always been a hard worker and very enthusiastic, and the military has focused that energy and made her a lot more fearless,” Henderson said about Evans. “I think she has a better perspective on life.”

Evans is very active in the Carolina Veterans Organization. The organization is hosting a Coffee with Veterans this Thursday in the Pit from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“We’re trying to bridge the gap between traditional students and nontraditional,” Evans said. “I encourage anyone to stop by and grab a free donut and coffee and talk with us.”