Carolina Boxing Club rolls with the punches

Boxing Club president Patrick Walsh demonstrates proper form for a punch.

But before the senior prepares himself for his upcoming bout, he has some behind-the-scenes work to attend to first.

Walsh is the president and a member of the Carolina Boxing Club. Walsh, joined by three other teammates, will fight in the club’s second home show.

The event — which will be held at 6 p.m. in the Great Hall lobby of the Student Union — will feature boxers from UNC, Maryland, East Carolina, West Virginia and Wake Forest.

As a student organization, unaffiliated with university athletics, the boxing club is both participating in the event and planning the show from its conception to the opening bell.

“We have to get clubs willing to travel down to Chapel Hill. The event can’t conflict with their schedule, it can’t conflict with our schedule and then we have to match people by weight and experience,” Walsh said.

Unlike athletic events under UNC’s amateur umbrella, the event has to be planned and funded through the efforts of the club itself — not the University.

UNC’s budget for operating expenses for athletics in fiscal year 2014-15 was $75,360,156, allocating money toward salaries, scholarships and other administrative expenses.

The club was allocated funds through Student Congress but had to front the rest of the bill itself and raise money on its own through club dues to put on a show of this magnitude.

Without the connections of the athletic department, the club must also work harder to fulfill the legal requirements of an athletic event.

“It’s very relationship-oriented,” treasurer Devon Genua said. “Someone has to know a doctor. Someone else has to know where to rent a ring, so it all comes together through personal connections.”

But the biggest challenge the organization faces is neither monetary nor logistical — it’s erasing the perceived difference between the boxing club and UNC teams.

When marketing the event, the organization aims to offer an experience similar to University-run athletic events.

“We want people to look at Carolina Boxing the same way they view Carolina basketball and football,” said marketing officer Omar Rezk.

At each step of the planning process, Walsh and the boxing club have faced challenges and limitations.

But Walsh knows his involvement is possible because the club isn’t a part of UNC athletics.

“On one side, we don’t get that funding and the advertisement that comes with being affiliated with UNC,” Walsh said. “But on the other side, it gives people like me an opportunity to have leadership roles and compete as athletes.”

So as Walsh steps onto the canvas Saturday, he knows that without the club, he would be left shadow boxing.

@_Brohammed