Carrboro police academy shows the man behind the badge

The Carrboro Police Department finished their trial run of the citizen police academy last week.

The objective of the citizen police academy is not to train an individual to be a certified police officer, but to produce informed citizens. 

The citizens and police officers meet each other face to face in the academy and each becomes a person to the other. In the past, citizens have simply seen a uniform, now they have an understanding about the person behind the badge.

Through a series of lectures, simulated activities and hands-on experience, citizens are provided an inside look at the "man behind the badge."

Due to incidents of police brutality over the past two years, there has been a lack of trust between police and citizens. 

“There’s a feeling, not just here but nationally, that people don’t like the police very much,” said officer David Deshaeis, community services chair at the Carrboro Police Department. “This program is just an olive branch to show citizens what we’re about.”

Though the program has been in the works for several months, the department ran an invitation-only trial at the end of October. This trial would serve as a benchmark for feedback for when the program opens to the public next summer.

Citizen’s Police Academy is not unique to the Carrboro Police Department, as there are thousands of others, including an academy hosted by the Chapel Hill Police Department. 

These programs are intended to open the lines of communication between the community and the police department. 

“We want as many people to experience this as possible,” Deshaeis said. “The only requirement that we have is that you be connected with Carrboro — such as a student, resident or employee or owner.”

The department hopes the program provides Carrboro residents with a deeper understanding of the police officers' day-to-day activities. 

Carrboro’s program does this in a unique way. Inspired by Chapel Hill’s police academy, Carrboro’s academy has nine hours of lecture and classroom time, broken up over two days, with a four hour ride along.

Carrboro resident Gabe Escrow is in favor of the program.

“Anytime you introduce a different side of the police to the average person, and the other side is good, I think it’s phenomenal,” Escrow said. “With everything that’s going on right now, that’s what we need.”

Others are apprehensive. Elise Lackey, a Carrboro resident, has some doubts.

“I feel like this is just something else they can do to distract us from real issues,” Lackey said. “ I just don’t see the benefit right now, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see.” 

@deitydevyn