Chatting with Miss UNC candidate Adeline Dorough

Mrs. UNC candidate Adeline Dorough.
Mrs. UNC candidate Adeline Dorough.

Dorough has been volunteering since she was a child by helping at homeless shelters and nursing homes. She attended high school at a boarding school in Asheville and volunteered at a nursing home during her time in school.

She said she has always loved serving other people.

“I just like people a lot so it’s cool to be able to have direct service in that regard,” Dorough said. “It’s been a part of my life since I was younger and I guess I’ve carried it through to college.”

Dorough is the UNC executive director for Camp Kesem North Carolina.

She is a member of the Order of the Bell Tower, participates in the Athletes in Action campus ministry, volunteers with Get Real & Heel and works with the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health UNC Fitness Breaks program to provide exercise classes to service facility workers at Genome Science Building before their shifts begin.

Dorough said her true passion is Camp Kesem. She has worked there for four years and hopes to start a scholarship for the UNC-Duke chapter with the Miss UNC funds.

She hopes to start chapters around the county on the path to building their own scholarships.

“I want to be able to do something that’s going to be lasting and sustainable but will serve our kids in a different way,” she said.

She said she has been dreaming of starting the scholarship fund since she started working with Camp Kesem.

“Not only is it cool to have the opportunity to represent my university at this level in this capacity, but also represent Camp Kesem,” she said.

Psalm 100, UNC Panhellenic Council, Camp Kesem of North Carolina and Tar Heel Voices are endorsing Dorough.

Dorough said she is most excited to have her family on the field with her at homecoming.

She said her dad, an Auburn University graduate, is buying a Carolina blue bowtie for the occasion.

Dorough said volunteering has shaped her life for the better.

“It’s really taught me the value of serving other people,” she said.