Chatting with Miss UNC Candidate Christina Townsend

Mrs. UNC candidate Christina Townsend.
Mrs. UNC candidate Christina Townsend.

Townsend’s platform is called “Perfectly Suited,” a professional development initiative for all UNC Students.

Students, alumni, Chapel Hill residents, Chapel Hill businesses and others interested will be asked to donate gently-used professional clothing for students in financial need. Interested students will need to fill out an application to be eligible to receive the clothing.

Townsend said part of the project would be a professional fair where the clothing would be distributed. She said other workshops, such as resume building and networking, would be available.

“When students are having to think about where rent is coming from and where their next meal is coming from, I don’t want them to be freaking out about how to pay for that blazer for an interview tomorrow to look ready to enter the workforce,” Townsend said.

Townsend plans to partner with University Career Services and the Carolina Union to implement the project. She plans to provide more support and exposure to find professional opportunities.

“I want to have a project that I 100 percent support, is feasible, and gives back to UNC students,” Townsend said.

“To have the opportunity to be in this role as Miss UNC would be a chance to implement something that helps so many UNC students — no matter what their background is. Just helping them in a way that I wish I had been helped.”

Christina is involved in Project Uplift, Black Student Movement, the Minority Student Recruitment Committee and Carolina Hispanic Association.

“I’ve looked forward to this for a long time, and the fact that it’s actually happening and I’ll be walking on that field while we’re hopefully beating Duke is surreal,” Townsend said.

“At the end of the day it’s an honor because my experience at Carolina has been a roller coaster, and this is what I have been working toward with every opportunity that I’ve been a part of and every class that I’ve taken, — it’s brought me here to where I feel I can represent UNC and give back to the student body.”