Destinee Walker overcomes jitters in UNC debut

Women's Basketball
Women's Basketball

Fresh off leading her squad in Wednesday’s 59-48 exhibition win over Wingate in her North Carolina debut, the first-year guard was battling a greater opponent.

“We’re just trying to get our pre-game jitters out for the first game ...” she said. “Like, I’m nervous now.”

This season, the five-star recruit has been thrust into a leading role for the No. 22 team in the nation.

And in the first 35 minutes of her collegiate career, Walker scored 13 points and snagged a team-high five steals.

But as the misses mounted, so too did the pressure.

The first-year came out aggressively, attacking the passing lanes and pushing the pace offensively.

Ten minutes into the game, Walker had two steals — but she also had two missed shots.

“I was thinking, try to get a couple of steals and go to the basket first,” she said. “And then maybe that’ll spark the threes.”

The second period offered little reprieve. Walker clanged her next four attempts from beyond the arc.

“We took a few shots,” said redshirt junior Hillary Summers, who scored a team-high 15 points. “We didn’t make them.”

After 15 minutes, Walker had yet to see her shot fall —her nerves were winning.

“My mom always tells me when I’m not hitting my threes to drive, and that’ll spark my shot,” Walker said. “So that’s all just going through my brain.”

And with her team trailing by nine, the first-year took over.

Walker drove to the hoop and netted a layup for her first collegiate points. On the next possession, Walker sliced through two defenders and converted the three-point play.

A minute later, she did it again — capping off a eight-point run to pull within one.

“I think Destinee is going to be an All-American,” Coach Sylvia Hatchell said. “You just saw a little bit of her greatness tonight. This kid is awesome.”

Walker wasn’t finished.

With the Tar Heels leading by just one point in the closing moments of the fourth quarter, sophomore Jamie Cherry lobbed UNC’s 21st three-pointer of the game — all misses.

The ball ricocheted off the rim into the hands of Walker, who backpedaled behind the line and launched a prayer.

“I was just like, ‘I’ve got to get one in there,’” she said.

Walker sunk the shot, giving the Tar Heels a four-point cushion. Moments later, she intercepted a pass and effortlessly drove the lane — adding two points for good measure.

“This kid is going to be a great player. She may end up being freshman of the year in the country,” Hatchell said.

“She just showed you a little bit of her greatness tonight. Y’all better put your seat belts on tonight because you’re going to see a whole lot more.”

@CJacksonCowart