Former US Rep. Howard Coble dies

But friends and family say the recently retired representative will be remembered for more than his politics.

“Howard Coble was a friend, not a resume,” said Gov. Pat McCrory at the funeral.

Coble’s funeral Tuesday was held in Westover Church in Greensboro.

Coble served in the U.S. House of Representatives for 30 years, representing the 6th District of North Carolina, which includes Caswell, Person, Rockingham, Surry and Stokes counties, as well as portions of five other counties. He began his career in public service when he joined the U.S. Coast Guard in 1952. He retired in January 2015.

After leaving the Coast Guard in 1956, Coble received a bachelor’s degree from Guilford College before receiving his law degree from UNC-Chapel Hill School of Law in 1962.

But as the governor intoned and Coble’s friends agreed, Coble was much more than his long and impressive resume could convey.

McCrory said he would always remember how much pleasure Coble took in the simple joys — like there being a bed in the governor’s mansion when he stayed there for a night,or that he seemed to know the name and high school of every person he ever ran into.

“Today, I get to give Howard a little bit of special treatment like he gave every one of us,” he said, announcing Nov. 10 as Howard Coble Day in North Carolina.

Included in remembrances for Howard Coble Day was his unique wardrobe, which incorporated colorful jackets and fedoras.

Alongside McCrory’s sympathizers were U.S. Sen. Thom Tillis, R-N.C., and U.S. Rep. David Price, D-N.C., who both released statements last week.

“He was the true embodiment of a public servant who put the needs of constituents before all else, utilizing civility and finding common ground to solve problems both local and national,” Tillis said in his statement.

He went on to mention Howard’s character, kindness and legendary sense of humor as features that friends, family and constituents would always remember.

Price highlighted Coble’s efforts to get to know everyone he worked with, including their staffers, before discussing Coble’s friendly personality.

“In an era where our politics are too often characterized by excessive partisanship and animosity, Howard’s camaraderie, good humor and generosity of spirit reflected the best of what this institution can be,” Price said in his statement.

Coble was known for his work on the House Judiciary Committee, which released a statement penned by chairperson Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., and ranking member John Conyers, D-Mich.

“It is with very heavy hearts that we mark the passing of Howard Coble, a man we were both honored to call a friend,” they said in the statement. “Howard was a true public servant, from his years of military service to his 30 years representing the 6th Congressional District of North Carolina in Congress.”