Gifts that keep on giving sold at alternative market

People gather at The United Church of Chapel Hill for the Alternative Market. The market was originally located on Cameron Street.

But not at the Alternative Gift Market.

For 26 years, the United Church of Chapel Hill has steered people away from the commercial aspect of the holidays.

“People wanted to simplify Christmas,” Rev. Richard Edens said.

Edens said the market was launched while the church was at its Cameron Street location. It started out on a smaller scale and was only held on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. It is now a two-day event filling most of the church’s space.

Tables are filled with food, jewelry, art, clothing and more. However, the items differed from those sold at department stores. A portion of the proceeds go toward helping organizations and projects throughout the world.

The vendor of Jammin’ for Africa, Bill Chicurel, said it is his ninth or tenth year at the market. Chicurel’s jam is locally grown from his vineyard and his proceeds are going to the Ministries of Arthur and Mabel Trout in Cape Town, South Africa. Chicurel said the Trouts, who are friends of his, administer projects to African shantytowns, areas deprived of necessities such as safe water and shelter.

“I think the market is the most wonderful thing,” Chicurel said. “It makes people think — are they just giving a store-bought gift or are they thinking about where their money is going? Everything here is giving twice.”

People were able to purchase gifts of aid that would be given to inhabitants in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic, and Managua, Nicaragua. These gifts of aid include literacy training for two women, female health worker training, an emergency food package capable of feeding a family of five for a month, mosquito nets, blankets and more.

“I think it really is an alternative market when people come,” Henry Lister, the coordinator of the event, said. “It’s the gift that gives twice and it really adds meaning to the holiday market.”

The alternative market partnered with Church World Service again for its millennium development project “Life More Abundant for a Child in Latin America.”

“It’s wonderful to see the level of compassion in Chapel Hill for their neighbors in Nicaragua,” said Kevin McCoy, a CWS southeast representative. “These gifts are a wonderful example of their belief and faith.”

Hollie Taylor was part of the market’s Art for a Cause, pledging 20 percent of her sales to be distributed evenly between CWS and Inter-Faith Council for Social Service. Taylor, a member of the Orange County Artists Guild, had a table selling her ceramic art.

“It’s great to welcome the community to see our work and knowing that a portion of the proceeds go to helping kids around the world,” Taylor said. “You get to support a really good cause.”