Isaiah Hicks set to blossom in his third year

And given the accolades the then-precocious forward from Oxford had already racked up, it made sense.

McDonald’s All-American. North Carolina Associated Press Player of the Year in 2013. Five-star recruit.

Hicks seemed destined to be next in a long line of prolific UNC big men, but instead buoyed along, averaging just over seven minutes a game two years ago in a reduced role on an experienced team. He primarily played at the small forward position, which was a major adjustment for the prototype power forward.

It wouldn’t be until a season ago that Hicks stepped into a more prominent role.

Co-recipient of UNC’s most improved player. Sixth-best scorer on the team. Go-to big man off the bench.

Now, in his junior campaign, it’s Hicks’ time to shine.

“I think his confidence has grown more than anything,” said junior guard Nate Britt. “Last year was really his first year playing his natural position in our system. He’s a lot more comfortable, and he can play his game now.”

In the 2014-15 campaign, Hicks’ renewed levels of confidence and comfortableness were obvious. He finished third on the team in field goal percentage, won the team’s defensive player of the game award a team-high 13 times and played at least 20 minutes in games against rivals Duke and N.C. State.

“I played more comfortable,” Hicks said. “Like I did in high school, shooting more and playing within myself.”

Junior forward Kennedy Meeks echoed Hicks’ increased level of confidence.

“The things he did in high school you can kind of see coming out in his game right now,” Meeks said. “He attacks the basket and is more aggressive off the dribble.”

The notion of Hicks adopting a more aggressive style of play and not being afraid to get to the basket is something Coach Roy Williams would like to see as well.

“We need him to score,” Williams said after Late Night With Roy. “We need him to take the ball to the basket and be a lot more aggressive than he’s been in the past.”

With senior forward Brice Johnson and Meeks returning, Hicks is slated to once again come off the bench but continue to add valuable minutes.

Being physical is something Hicks said he prides himself on and expects to add as another dimension to his game.

“I just think every year you just need to add something new,” Hicks said. “It’s all about getting ready to go out there and be physical.”

It might not be until next season that Hicks will take on a starring role for the Tar Heels, but Joel James believes Hicks is still motivated to show what he’s made of.

“He can do a lot of different things,” the senior forward said. “I see a guy who’s hungry to prove to everyone what he can do.”

@davidrallenjr