Men's basketball wins handedly against Fairfield despite lack of effort

Talent, not effort, drove the No. 1 North Carolina men’s basketball team to a 92-65 victory against Fairfield Sunday night — but that might not be enough going forward.

The Tar Heels (2-0) dominated nearly every section of the box score, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. The top-ranked team in the country didn’t look the part early on, leading by just five over the Stags (0-2) at the under-eight media timeout.

The Tar Heels struggled to shoot the ball in the first half, both from the free-throw line and from 3-point range.

Despite poor shooting, UNC still clearly asserted itself as the better team. But the team’s talent was met by effort from Fairfield, and effort won out on numerous occasions.

UNC found itself in unfamiliar territory, as Fairfield pulled in more offensive rebounds than the Tar Heels — a battle usually won handedly by North Carolina.

But despite Fairfield’s best efforts, the Tar Heels could not be held back for long — exploding for a 52-point second half. After halftime, UNC found its stride and quickly galloped away from the Stags.

Against zone defense, which bothered the Tar Heels early, the shots finally started to fall. UNC leaned on sharp shooting from guards Nate Britt and Joel Berry to balloon its lead to as much as 31 points.

When the pieces fell in place, UNC looked like the No. 1 team in the nation. But going forward, UNC will need both talent and effort to continue its dominance.

Quotable

“The score doesn’t tell the story of the game. I thought we had a lack of execution, a lack of effort and toughness out there early. And (Fairfield) had all those things that we didn’t have.” — Coach Roy Williams on his team’s early struggles.

Notable

Berry, not Britt, won the starting spot at point guard for the Tar Heels. While both scored in double-digits, Britt’s team-high 17 points might affect who starts in the future.

Three numbers that matter

0: Theo Pinson had eight assists. More importantly, the sophomore had no turnovers in a near double-double performance.

23: Brice Johnson and Kennedy Meeks combined for 23 rebounds, more than the rest of the Tar Heels combined.

56.2: When the Tar Heels got to the free-throw line, they struggled. UNC shot 56.2 percent from the line, missing 14 free throws as a team. 

What’s Next?

The Tar Heels will host Wofford at 7 p.m. on Wednesday night at the Smith Center.

@_Brohammed