People of color reclaim their space at UNC

The People of Color Take Over the Quad event on Friday was a cause for celebration. 

Attendees were combating the underrepresentation of people of color at the University. 

“We talk a lot about diversity in this University, but what exactly does that mean? Is it an attempt to get all minority voices to be heard or a quota?” said junior Jonathan Chan, who attended the event.

People of Color Takeover of the Quad was hosted by the Real Silent Sam Coalition. 

“It’s a healing space of people of color, a celebration,” event organizer Christina Perkins said. 

The event took place Friday in front of Wilson Library. 

“This is very important especially since we’re halfway through the semester, everyone is tired, everyone’s morale is down, and I think it’s great for people to come celebrate and heal together,” senior Zakyree Wallace said.

Wallace said supporting the idea of reclaiming spaces is the reason she came to the event.

“I came here today because people of color need more visibility and self-affirming space, we need spaces that are created by people of color and that are for people of color,” Wallace said.

Music played from speakers while students gathered on the steps. 

“This allows us to gather in this beautiful quad and gives us a chance to show each other that this is a space for us,” sophomore Mackenzie Kwok said.

The Real Silent Sam Coalitions's aim with the event was to address historical racism by reclaiming space for people of color.

“Considering everything that is going on in the country right now, with the Silent Sam statue, race issues, we definitely need to do a lot of individual community work within the people of color community and take that space for our own,” Wallace said. 

People at the event said they look to make change on campus by raising awareness of these issues that affect the student body.

“First of all, we need demographic changes, we need more black males, we need more Native Americans, more present minorities, but also we need understanding from administration that we are here and we have needs that the current system does not give us,” Kwok said.

The celebration seeks to see a representation of people of color in UNC faculty and staff, Perkins said.

“(People of color) are not the shining voices or the shining presence of the face of the school. It’s an act of reclaiming our space here but under the form of a celebration," Kwok said. "Given the current state of where America is right now, black people are a focus, but the (people of color) is solidarity between communities of all racial groups.”