Plans for a community kitchen face barriers in downtown Carrboro

In order to serve hot food, the IFC must apply for a special permit

The IFC is a nonprofit and non-denominational social services organization that helps the impoverished, hungry and homeless.

Currently, its location in Carrboro serves as a food pantry partnering with Farmer Foodshare and the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle to provide fresh produce to low-income families.

However, the one service the IFC can’t provide is a hot meal service.

“There isn’t a land use (ordinance) that fits with a community or soup kitchen,” said Bethany Chaney, member of the Carrboro Board of Aldermen.

This means the IFC has to create a text amendment to the land use ordinance. If the board votes to approve the amendment, the IFC would have to apply for a permit.

The Chapel Hill location has a community kitchen, but IFC executive director Michael Reinke said he wants to add a kitchen to the pantry.

“I suspect there is very strong community support,” Reinke said.

However, a few members of the Board of Aldermen mentioned community concerns for allowing a community kitchen in Carrboro.

“There are concerns around making sure we consider the potential impact on businesses downtown,” said Damon Seils, a member of the Carrboro Board of Aldermen.

Both Board of Aldermen members Sammy Slade and Chaney agreed with his sentiments.

All three members had supportive things to say about the IFC and the services it provides.

The IFC has four locations serving different needs and populations across Orange County.

They also provide emergency financial assistance to families in need, utilities help, holiday dinners, support circles and other services.

“My perspective is that you don’t use your land ordinances to keep good people out of town,” Chaney said.

She went on to say everyone should be able to enjoy the community no matter what they have.

Seils echoed her sentiments and said he would be for a land use ordinance for the kitchen because the IFC is a social service provider.

Reinke said he believes the controversies come down to change and that the community needs to go through their processes to accept this change. He said he hopes the community will end up supporting them.

“We need support from the community because we are a non-profit organization,” Reinke said. “If we are going to make this vision a reality, it will be through the support of neighbors and businesses.”

The goal of the IFC is to help people like Juano Brooks, who has used their services, from the food pantry to utility support.

“If you keep stumbling, if you got some goals, they are there to help,” Brooks said.

@ARPapadopoulos