Prevention Task Force talks sexual and gender-based violence survey data

UNC's Prevention Task Force discussed the analysis of survey data about the prevalence of sexual and gender-based harassment and violence at the University during its November meeting. 

The survey data was released in September and came from an Association of American Universities’ Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Assault and Sexual Misconduct, which took place in April. 

UNC was one of 27 public and private universities that participated in the survey, and 24.3 percent of undergraduate female UNC students who participated said they had experienced sexual assault in their time at UNC. 

Members discussed their reactions to the data as well as what further research is needed to consider preventative measures. 

Jenn Scott, co-chairperson of the task force and Title IX Program Coordinator in the Equal Opportunity and Compliance Office, led a presentation on the research and highlighted why survey respondents did not report instances of violence or harassment. 

“The overwhelming majority of people said (the incident) wasn’t serious enough,” Scott said.

Scott compared UNC’s data to that of the national survey. She said survey results from the University were similar to national responses. 

Kelli Raker, task force co-chairperson and coordinator for violence prevention programs at Student Wellness, led the discussion and gave members a time to talk about the information.  

LGBTQ Center Director Terri Phoenix said the survey data was helpful in understanding the prevalence of gender-based violence. 

"I’m glad we have the numbers … But it is disturbing at the same time,” Phoenix said.

Amy Gauthier, senior associate director of the Department of Housing and Residential Education, said the data regarding bystander intervention showed a need for educating students on how to step in. 

“I think the thing that stuck out to me from the whole thing was the idea of students seeing something happening and not stepping in to stop it,” Gauthier said.

Raker said the task force will check in with other universities as it considers and implements prevention techniques.

“That will be part of our process to see what else is out there,” Raker said.

The group talked about preventative measures after discussing the survey data, such as bystander intervention training and ideas about reallocating resources to organizations for survivors to reach out to. 

The Prevention Task Force was created in April to increase access to preventative initiatives and address issues of sexual and gender-based violence and harassment.