Q&A with 13-year-old environmentalist

Most 13-year-olds wouldn’t list environmental activism as a top priority.

But Hallie Turner of Raleigh, who has been passionate about the environment since the fourth grade, filed a petition last year to the N.C. Environmental Management Commission to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 4 percent annually.

After the petition was rejected, she, her parents and her team of lawyers went to court to attempt to overturn this decision. But this request was denied the day before Thanksgiving. Still, Turner plans to make her voice heard.

Senior Writer Caroline Lamb spoke with Turner about her efforts.

The Daily Tar Heel: Can you explain the process that brought you where you are today — from the original petition to the effort to overturn the commission’s decision?

Hallie Turner: When the petition went to the (Environmental Management Commission) the first time, it got denied by the chair ... and we refiled, and the hearing three weeks ago was our opportunity to have our petition heard again ...

We didn’t get (the judge’s) ruling on the same day of the hearing, but he did say that regardless of the way he would rule, he really admired my work and what I was doing and that I was fighting for something that I was passionate about ... And when we heard his actual ruling, it was disappointing because that was something that me and my legal team have put a lot of effort into.

DTH: Some might think this isn’t a typical activity for a 13-year-old — why did you decide to pursue this?

HT: I was first inspired to take action and learn more about the issue around third or fourth grade when the conversation of climate change just came up at the dinner table and I decided, “Hey, I want to learn more about this,” ... I read several books at the local library, one of which was an adapted kids version of Al Gore’s book “An Inconvenient Truth” ... And his book, among others, was one of the main things that inspired me and really motivated me to take action on the issue ... It’s really affecting everyone and impacting everyone no matter whether you believe in it or not.

DTH: With the recent proposal to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 0.4 percent annually, which is much less than the 4 percent you were working toward, do you plan to work to increase this percentage?

HT: There’s going to be a hearing based on that Clean Power Plan, the proposed 0.4 percent reduction, on Dec. 17 at the Archdale Building in Raleigh where we have the opportunity to make our voices heard about that 0.4 percent and about how that is not enough ... Other than that, the next steps really just depend on the judge’s ruling and what we decide to do with the legal stuff.

DTH: How would you encourage other kids to become involved with environmental activism?

HT: iMatter (a youth climate change action group) has definitely been a great way for me to get involved and get my voice heard, so I definitely encourage other youth to at least check that out ... One of the things that’s been surprising to me throughout this whole process is the connections that you can make with different people that you know from completely unrelated things and build a network of people that are supportive.

DTH: How did the kids at your school react through all of this?

HT: My friends have been really enthusiastic and supportive, and even people that I don’t talk to on a regular basis will just come up to me in the hallway and be like, “Hey I saw you on the news; that’s really cool!” And it’s the little things like that mean a lot, and it’s just been really sweet and a really positive experience.