Raise cholesterol and lower drunk driving rates

The event’s proceeds were originally to go to Families Against Drunk Driving, an organization founded in Florida by a family affected by a drunken driving accident. But in recent weeks, the fraternity changed the benefactor to the Panhellenic Council’s safety and security fund, which, according to the event’s Facebook page, “will support an initiative to offer free, safe transport to UNC students on weekends.”

Case Aldridge, a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon and planner of the event, did not comment on why the benefactors changed.

Julia Mullendore, president of the UNC Panhellenic Council, said it is not clear what the money will go to specifically, besides the general safety fund.

“We have a wristband policy that is implemented at social events. The safety fund goes largely to benefit that program, but then the funds are to be used at the discretion for anything related to safety,” she said.

The wristband policy, as outlined in the standing rules of the UNC Panhellenic Council, allows for only certain people to go to Panhellenic social events and shows who is not 21.

The event comes just months after police say Chandler Kania, a former member of Sigma Phi Epsilon, drove drunk and hit a car head-on, killing three people. Kania has been charged with second-degree murder and driving while impaired, among other charges, according to police.

Aldridge said after the incident, the fraternity decided the event should support drunken-driving prevention.

“It’s been tough,” Aldridge said. “In the beginning of the semester, it didn’t even feel like it was real. There was nothing we could do.”

Austin Hampton, president of Sigma Phi Epsilon, said drinking and driving is not specific to the Greek community.

“Drinking and driving is something very relevant to college students,” he said. “It was something that the guys were passionate about.”

Hampton said the fraternity is holding the event to expand its philanthropic presence on campus.

The event will feature a group and individual competition. Individuals will eat one pound of pumpkin pie as quickly as possible, while group competitors will race to eat 58-ounce pumpkin pies.

Both events cost $15 per participant. Tickets to watch the event are $5 and can be purchased from any Sigma Phi Epsilon member or at the door.