Ritchey claims another medal for UNC fencing

The youth of the North Carolina fencing team has shown strong in this year’s individual competitions — and this weekend was no different.

First-year Connor Ritchey led all Tar Heels after tying for third place in men’s saber in the Kansas City North American Cup over the weekend. Fellow first-year Mathew Garrelick also had a successful outing in men's sabre, adding a 27th-place finish.

First-year Jason Xu fared well for the men, as well, finishing 22nd in epee after tying for third place in his previous competition.

Ian Head — a first-year fencer from London — was the only Tar Heel to participate in men's foil, as he finished tied for 193rd place.

Each of the performances by Ritchey, Garrelick and Xu gained points for North Carolina, which helps the Tar Heels with seeding and qualifications in future competitions.

The women’s team did not have the same amount of success in Kansas City.

First-year Sydney Persing finished 88th in women's foil, while sophomore Sara Moreno had the highest finish for the women’s squad, placing 47th in epee.

Quotable

“Right now, they’ve established themselves as leaders in their weapon squads and will be counted on heavily in the dual-meet season. They’ve really set a great tone for the rest of the fall, and we expect that to carry on into next year.” — Coach Ron Miller on his first-year fencers.

Notable

Ritchey won his second medal in his past three events. The first-year tied for bronze with his third-place finish in Kansas City, and he also tied for third at the Temple Open earlier this season.

Three numbers that matter

3: Medals won by North Carolina this season. Ritchey has tied for third twice thus far, while Xu tied for third in the Garret Penn State Open.

4: Top-10 finishes for the men's team by first-years alone. In addition to the three top-three results, Xu finished eighth in the Temple Open to start the season.

5: First-year fencers competing for UNC in Kansas City. Miller said scheduling conflicts prevented some of his experienced fencers from making the trip.

What’s next?

North Carolina heads to Philadelphia for the Elite Invitational on Saturday. This competition marks the beginning of dual meets for the Tar Heels.

@YonaDagalosi