Ted Seagroves’ business legacy awarded

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce’s award for Seagroves will be awarded posthumously.

On Thursday, the Chapel Hill-Carborro Chamber of Commerce will hold a ceremony to induct Ted Seagroves, as well as seven other business leaders and their families, into the Business Hall of Fame.

Seagroves was given the opportunity to take over Nationwide more than 40 years ago — early in his career.

He turned out to be the right man for the job.

Under his leadership, the business expanded to open locations in Mebane, Pittsboro and Raleigh.

The headquarters for the business has moved locations many times, but it always remained central to downtown Chapel Hill.

Seagroves owned his insurance agency since 1972.

The business was run with family in mind and at various times employed his wife, daughter and son.

His children worked for him before moving on to other projects.

Sixteen years ago, they rejoined the company.

After Seagroves’ passing, his children, Amy and Pete Seagroves, took over the agency.

“He was a genuine guy with a big heart. He cared about everybody and this community,” Amy Seagroves, his daughter, said.

“He could rally the people for any cause, whether it was charity, (a) golf game or socializing after hours. If he believed in it, he made everyone believe in it. He was a natural leader, and people flocked to him.”

The Business Hall of Fame awards have existed since 2013.

These awards were established to celebrate the chamber’s 50th anniversary.

“I think that businesses should be recognized for their integration of business and community outreach,” Joseph Townsend, a UNC senior, said.

Kristen Smith, the chamber’s vice president of advocacy and engagement, said the awards honor leadership, entrepreneurship, courageous thinking, action and excellence in business management.

The event will take place tonight from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Carolina Inn.

Seagroves’ family will be accepting the award in his honor.

@cococolson