UNC routs Miami 59-21

The senior class played their final game at Kenan Stadium, where they were perfect in the 2015 season.

The North Carolina football team improved to 9-1 on the season Saturday afternoon, after dismantling Miami 59-21. The win improves UNC's ACC record to 6-0 and cements a flawless season for the Tar Heels within the confines of Kenan Stadium; the first time since 1969 that UNC has been undefeated at home. 

Quarterback Marquise Williams finished the game with four touchdowns — three rushing, one passing — and 101 rushing yards while throwing 11-for-16 with 105 passing yards. 

Sophomore running back Elijah Hood continued his trend of dominating the ground attack, averaging 7.8 yards per carry with 132 rushing yards. He managed to find the end zone once as well. 

Saturday's game marked the fourth-straight game where Larry Fedora's explosive offense scored in all four quarters. The 125 points that North Carolina scored in back-to-back games against Duke and Miami broke the school record for points in consecutive games. In 1914, the Tar Heels put up 118 points against Wake Forest and Virgina Medical College. 

Despite allowing 326 passing yards, Gene Chizik's defense held the Hurricanes to 21 points. Miami entered the game averaging 26.8 points per game. 

The Tar Heel secondary continued to shine, with eight total pass breakups — two each going to M.J. Stewart, Des Lawrence and Mike Hughes — and three turnovers, including a 60-yard interception return from middle linebacker Jeff Schoettmer. 

Notable

North Carolina is 6-0 in the ACC for the first time since 1980, which was also the last year the Tar Heels won the ACC. 

Quotable

"It means everything. Me and my class, we've been through so much, we've put so much into this University. We've kind of been dragged through the mud at times, and we've had a lot of highs and lows. Just to reach this kind of success and to really just go out and leave that legacy — that our legacy is going to be this game for Kenan. It's kind of hard to put it into words." — Redshirt senior guard Landon Turner on what this final win at Kenan Stadium means to him and the senior class.

Three numbers to know

1: The number of wins UNC needs to get in its final two games to clinch the ACC Coastal Division

99: The amount of rushing yards Miami finished with. Coach Larry Fedora said the goal this week was to limit the Hurricanes to fewer than 100 yards on the ground. He can check that box on his list. Miami averaged just 3.1 yards per rush while the Tar Heels averaged more than twice that (6.5).

0: The number of turnovers UNC has had in its past three games against Pitt, Duke and Miami. Conversely, The Tar Heels have forced 7 turnovers over that stretch.

What's next?

North Carolina continues to be in full control of the ACC Coastal Division and will look to clinch next week when the team travels to Blacksburg, Va. to take on Virginia Tech at 12 p.m. ET. 

@CarlosACollazo