UNC student earns Peace First Prize for LGBTQ activism

Brennan Lewis, winner of Peace First Prize, is talking about her QueerNC and her future plan.

But that’s exactly what Brennan Lewis did, which made them a recipient of the 2015 Peace First Prize.

“It’s amazing. I’m really grateful. I knew they would get it, because Lewis has done more amazing stuff than anybody I’ve ever met,” said Catherine Coats, a high school senior and the current youth programs chair at the LGBT Center of Raleigh.

The Peace First Prize is a $25,000 prize awarded to five students each year who are considered peacemakers in their community. Winners also receive a two-year fellowship with the program, which includes mentorship, meetings with the other winners and opportunities to connect with advocates for the organization, whose ranks include Amy Poehler, Andy Samberg, Monique Coleman and Cody Simpson.

Most of Lewis’ work is based out of the LGBT center, which is the physical home of QueerNC, the organization Lewis co-founded in an attempt to create safe spaces for LGBTQ teens in the state.

Lewis, who uses they-them pronouns, said QueerNC’s founding was a response to a severe and shocking need in the community.

“There’s so many students that are being harassed, and it’s very different when everybody that you know is struggling with the same thing,” they said. “So that summer, my best friend and I decided to found QueerNC.”

Lewis said they never imagined creating a network would be possible at first. A private Facebook page eventually grew into monthly meet-ups, leadership camps and several social media outlets. Many of the new programs are committed to reaching populations that face unique challenges even within the LGBTQ community.

“We really try for our online space to connect to youth in rural areas who don’t have any other outlet, and we can help them deal with problems that they’re facing in school such as bullying,” Lewis said.

Lewis said their family was a major source of support and confidence growing up, and Lewis’ mother, Sera Lewis, said her child’s motivation is nothing new.

“This is always the kid, where parents are normally like, ‘Why aren’t you doing homework? Do your math,’” Sera Lewis said. “I had the exact opposite experience, where I constantly had to tell Brennan, ‘You know, you should go hang out with your friends. Maybe you should let the homework slide a little bit.’”

A UNC first-year and Robertson scholar, Brennan Lewis divides their focus. They think the overall atmosphere of UNC is welcoming toward LGBTQ students, but difficult to navigate.

“The LGBTQ community here is really spread out, and it’s kind of hard to find spaces that fit what I want to do, which is a lot of activism-based stuff,” Lewis said.”

But even as Lewis goes through their first semester of college, they keep motivating those around them.

“They’re trying to get me to apply for the Robertson next year, and they’re like, ‘You can do it!’ and I’m like, ‘I’m not at all prepared for this, but I’ll try,’” Coats said.

@rachelisbeyonce