UNC survives comeback to beat Virginia Tech in overtime, clinches ACC Coastal Division

BLACKSBURG, VA. — Halfway through the fourth quarter with a 24-10 lead over Virginia Tech, it looked like the No. 12 North Carolina football team was well on its way to locking up its first-ever ACC Coastal Division title.

But the Tar Heels should have known it wasn’t going to be that easy. 

In legendary coach Frank Beamer’s final game at Lane Stadium after 29 years with the program, the Hokies stormed back with two touchdowns in the last three minutes of the fourth to the send the game into overtime, where UNC ultimately pulled out a 30-27 win.

A Tar Heel defense that had come up with big plays all game forced Virginia Tech to kick a field goal on the first possession of overtime. With the game on his shoulders, redshirt senior Marquise Williams shook off his worst performance since UNC's season opener to throw the game-winning touchdown pass to senior receiver Quinshad Davis.

UNC started the game hot with a seven-play, 65-yard drive that culminated in an 18-yard touchdown run by Williams. But the Hokie defense clamped down on the Tar Heels after that, forcing six punts and a fumble on the Tar Heels' next seven possessions.  

After receiving only three carries in the first half, sophomore running back Elijah Hood exploded after halftime. The bruising runner finished with 115 yards on the ground — which put him over 1,000 on the season — and two touchdowns to give UNC a 24-10 lead. 

Both of Hood's touchdown runs came after huge plays by the defense. First, redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Nazair Jones tackled Virginia Tech fullback Sam Rogers in the backfield, punching the ball out and then scooping it up. 

Then on the next Hokie possession, junior cornerback Des Lawrence snared an interception on a pass deep down the sideline. Sophomore M.J. Stewart added another interception for UNC before Williams started fumbling.  

Williams lost two fumbles in the fourth quarter, which allowed Virginia Tech to tie the game and had everyone seeing shades of the season opener in South Carolina — where Williams threw three interceptions in a 17-13 UNC loss. 

But history did not repeat itself. Williams completed an 18-yard pass to junior receiver Ryan Switzer on the Tar Heels' first offensive play of overtime and three plays later found Davis for the winning score, guaranteeing UNC a spot in the ACC Championship in Charlotte. 

Quotable

"It was wild in there, I don't even remember what I said. I'm in a daze right now. I'm really excited for those kids." — Coach Larry Fedora on the locker room following the win. 

Notable

Linebacker Shakeel Rashad walked into the locker room at halftime with 10 tackles, a sack and a tackle for loss. The senior finished with 15 total tackles, and said in the locker room after the game that must be why his body hurt so bad. 

The Tar Heels punted eight times against Virginia Tech, more than in the past two games combined. 

Three numbers that matter

3: The number of fumbles Williams lost, the same as the number of interceptions he threw against South Carolina. 

14: The number of carries Hood received in the second half after only getting three in the first half. He ran for 99 yards and two touchdowns with those touches. 

5: The number of times UNC sacked Virginia Tech quarterback Michael Brewer. Entering the game, the pass rush was a weakness for UNC, with only 14 sacks in 10 games. 

What's next?

UNC will conclude its season in Raleigh against N.C. State next Saturday. The game time will be announced following today's ACC games.

@loganulrich