UNC trounces Duke behind big plays, record-breaking performances

UNC defeated Duke 66-31 in football Saturday.

With a chance to enhance its stranglehold atop the ACC Coastal Division on Saturday against Duke, the No. 21 North Carolina football team didn’t waste any time, or any play.

Behind 38 first-half points and a slew of record-breaking performances, the Tar Heels drubbed the Blue Devils 66-31 en route to seizing their eighth consecutive win.

On its first offensive play, UNC (8-1, 5-0 ACC) ran a flea-flicker pass, which resulted in an 89-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Marquise Williams to receiver Ryan Switzer.

After Duke (6-3, 3-2 ACC) cut the Tar Heels’ lead to 7-3, Williams and sophomore running back Elijah Hood each rushed for a touchdown to hand UNC a 21-3 lead at the end of the first quarter. It marked North Carolina’s largest first-quarter lead in an ACC game since 2009 against Boston College.

With about two minutes left in the first half and North Carolina leading 24-10, Williams threw a 74-yard touchdown pass to receiver Mack Hollins.

UNC struck again before the end of the first half on a 49-yard touchdown pass from Williams to receiver Bug Howard, giving the Tar Heels a 38-10 lead heading into the locker room.

North Carolina manufactured 486 total yards of offense in the first half, more than the Blue Devils had surrendered in a game all season.

UNC continued its offensive brigade in the second half — scoring 28 points and finishing the contest with 704 total yards of offense.

Quotable

“We thought we would be able to throw the ball down the field, but you’ve got to connect on them. That’s what happened. Our guys did a really nice job in protection, and (Williams) was on the money with it today. He did a really nice job. We’ve got length on the outside, great quickness on the inside, so we’ve got a lot of weapons in that area.” — Coach Larry Fedora on his team’s ability to create big plays on Saturday.

Notable

UNC’s 66 points on Saturday were the most the team has scored against any ACC opponent. The Tar Heels’ previous high of 59 came against Duke in 1970 and Maryland in 1993.

North Carolina and Duke’s 1,237 total yards of offense were the most in any game in UNC football history. The previous high was 1,228 against East Carolina a season ago.

With Saturday’s win, the Tar Heels can clinch the Coastal Division next week with a win over Miami and a loss by Pittsburgh to Duke.

Three numbers that matter

524: In just under three quarters of play, Williams accounted for 524 total yards of offense — setting a new school single-game record. He broke T.J. Yates’ school record for passing yards on just the sixth offensive play of the second half.

3: Sophomore running back Elijah Hood rushed for 69 yards and a career-high three touchdowns on Saturday. He has scored a team-best 11 touchdowns this season.

165: Hollins scored a touchdown and finished with a career-high 165 receiving yards. He recorded five catches and averaged 33 yards per reception.

What’s next?

The Tar Heels host Miami on Nov. 14 at Kenan Stadium. The time will be announced after Saturday’s ACC games.

@patjames24

sports@dailyarheel.com