UNC women's basketball opens preseason with 59-48 win over Wingate

The North Carolina women’s basketball team opened up its preseason Wednesday night in an exhibition with the Wingate Bulldogs. In a hard fought, physical battle, UNC came out on top 59-48. 

The first quarter saw both teams come out cold on the offensive front. The Tar Heels had trouble finding any chemistry with the ball, which resulted in a handful of missed shots to start the game. Defensively, North Carolina went for a zone look that pressured the Bulldogs initially, but eventually crisp passing allowed Wingate to take an early lead.

The second quarter started with North Carolina falling behind to the Bulldogs by way of sloppy fouls and more missed shots, but the Tar Heels fought back through a series of 3-point plays. Sophomore Jamie Cherry took over in the second quarter, whether it was by finding her senior teammate Xylina McDaniel in the paint or driving the ball in herself. 

The teams entered halftime deadlocked at 24. First-year Destinee Walker led the Tar Heels at half with eight points. 

The start to the second half was a lot of the same for both the Bulldogs and Tar Heels, as both teams continued the physical play that made it hard for either offense to convert in the first half. The first five minutes of the quarter felt like one long fast break, with both teams frantically pacing down the court and throwing up shots.

The final act of the game saw Cherry continue to take charge by either calling her own number or choosing to feed redshirt junior Hillary Summers in the paint. 

Walker's play late in the game sealed the victory for UNC. She hit a 3-pointer and followed that up immediately with a steal and fast-break score to put the Tar Heels up by six with three minutes left. North Carolina never relinquished that lead and secured its victory over the Bulldogs. 

Quotable

“If we had played the whole game like we did the last six minutes then that would have been really good. We just have to get some games and some time under our belts and we are going to continue to get better.” — Coach Sylvia Hatchell on her team's performance. 

Notable

McDaniel played her first game for North Carolina since Dec. 21, when she injured her right leg against Elon and missed the rest of the season.  

Three Numbers that Matter

19: The number of times the Tar Heels' defense stole the ball from the Bulldogs. 

22: North Carolina attempted 22 3-pointers in Wednesday's game. Walker was the lone Tar Heel to make a basket from long range. 

7: Just seven players played for UNC on Wednesday night. The Tar Heels only have eight scholarship players on this year's squad. 

What’s Next?

UNC faces Mount Olive in its final exhibition of the preseason at  6 p.m. on Monday at Carmichael Arena. 

@Evan_Chronis