Where to celebrate your Homecoming

A guide for what all Tar Heels, from current students to returning alumni, should do to celebrate Homecoming downtown this weekend.

Bars

Carolina Inn

New additions to the classic hotel include a renovated restaurant and a bigger front porch. Carolina Crossroads, now named Crossroads Chapel Hill, still serves Southern cuisine with a modern twist but now in a more approachable setting. The expanded porch offers plenty of room for tailgating and catching up with old Tar Heels.

The Carolina Inn is located at 211 Pittsboro St. 

Carolina Ale House

The newest sports bar to grace Franklin Street, Carolina Ale House opened this October. With several large TVs and an even larger menu, Carolina Ale House is a great place to catch the game away from the hustle and bustle closer to campus. So you decide if it will be the next Chapel Hill staple.

Carolina Ale House is located at 419 W. Franklin St.

The Strowd

The Strowd is the newest nightclub in Chapel Hill. Located above Sutton’s, it has sleek leather couches for sipping cocktails on one side and full-length mirrors and a stage that begs you to dance on the other. It’s the perfect spot for some sophisticated fun.

The Strowd is located at 159 1/2 E. Franklin St.

Country Fried Duck

Bull rides came to Chapel Hill this year in the form of Country Fried Duck. That’s right, you heard us: On both Friday and Saturday, you have no excuse not to ride the bull. #whattheduck

The Country Fried Duck is located at 157 E. Rosemary St.

The Crunkleton

The upscale West Franklin Street bar has over 500 bottles of liquor to choose from, along with draft beers and wines by the bottle. The large open window is perfect for people-watching, and the interior is homey with cozy seats and a friendly (and knowledgeable) bow-tied staff.

The Crunkleton is located at 320 W. Franklin St. 

Baxter Bar and Arcade

For those feeling nostalgic on Homecoming weekend, this is the place for you to relive your childhood. Self-described as “nerd-chic,” The Baxter is a haven for those who miss the golden age of arcade games. Major props if you make it on the high score board.

The Baxter is located at 108 N. Graham St. 

Top of the Hill

For an Old Well White. For old time’s sake.

TOPO is located at 100 E. Franklin St. 

Eat

Al’s Burger Shack

Franklin Street is filled with burger joints, but Al’s stood out as soon as it opened in 2013. The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce recently honored the restaurant as mid-size business of the year. True to its name, Al’s is a shack. Seating is tight, but the Mookie Burger and crinkle cut fries are well worth the wait.

Al’s is located at 516 W. Franklin St.

Sup Dogs

Because if you’re coming back to college, you need to eat like a college student at least once. Sup Dogs, which opened in 2014, has declared itself the “Best 6 Inches in Chapel Hill.” The hot dogs are piled with toppings, and there’s plenty of room to eat outside. If you’re having trouble finding it, look for the dancing hot dog “permanently” stationed on Franklin Street.

Sup Dogs is located at 107 E. Franklin St. 

Activities

Southern Season

If you’re not up for tailgating Saturday, the Beer Extravaganza at Southern Season is a great alternative. The event features dozens of local and national craft breweries and cideries. The drinking starts at 1 p.m, and winners of the home brew contest are announced at 4 p.m.

Southern Season is located at 201 South Estes Drive in University Mall. Tickets are available at southernseason.com for $10 in advance and $14 at the door. 

140 West Plaza

This strip is the biggest addition to Franklin in the past few years, and it holds a Live and Local Music & Arts series every Friday. Kick off the weekend with blues artist Bullfrog Willard McGhee at 6 p.m. Grab a bite to eat at Old Chicago or Crepe Traditions while you enjoy the free entertainment.

140 West Plaza is located at 140 W. Franklin St.

DSI Comedy Club

Head here for some post-game laughs. The low-key venue has three shows Saturday night. Improv Wildcard at 7 p.m., Primetime at 8:30 p.m. and Versus at 10 p.m. Versus is free, and features six freestyle rappers in a hip-hop improv showcase.

DSI Comedy Club is located at 462 W. Franklin Street. 

Orange County Artists Guild Open Tour

The 21st annual Open Studio Tour begins Nov. 7 and 8 when 83 members of the Orange County Artists Guild open their studios to the public. Work by participating artists will also be on display at FRANK Gallery and Hillsborough Gallery of the Arts.

Visit orangecountyartistsguild.com for participating artists and more information.

special.projects@dailytarheel.com