Student Congress discusses graduate student governance and student fees

Shelby Dawkins-Law, former president of the Graduate and Professional Student Federation, took the floor at Student Congress's last meeting of the semester Tuesday. She said she has problems with the way the conflict between GPSF and Student Congress was being handled. 

"All of this conflict that has arisen this year quite frankly is abhorrent, if not immature," Dawkins-Law said. 

She said problems with the way budgets are handled could be easily answered by a few clicks on the student government website and that graduate students seeking answers about the management of funds and concerns about nepotism could ask other former presidents of GPSF.

Dawkins-Law specifically called out Priyesh Krishnan, chairperson of the finance committee and a graduate student, and said he has been immature in his handling of the situation. 

Dawkins-Law said she was unhappy with the way Congress is being run and wants things to change. 

"You are accountable to your constituents. I am your constituent. I voted for you and I no longer want you representing me," she said. "Causing this level of conflict is unbecoming of your position as congresspeople and graduate students."

After her address, Congress moved into consideration of a bill that would make Student Activities Fund Office fees transparent for the entirety of the Student Congress. Krishnan presented this bill. 

The Student Activities Fund Office fee is funded by the $39 fee students pay in their tuition. Because it is student-funded, expenses from the office can vary.  

"It should be open; everyone should see it," Krishnan said, while discussing the fees.

Questions and concerns regarding the bill were raised by members of Congress.

"We should have this conversation with (Student Activities Fund Office) first," said Congress member Marie Lina Excellent. 

She also raised concerns about the timeliness of passing the bill.

The bill ended up passing with a 18-5 vote.