UNC football concludes season with 49-38 loss to Baylor in Russell Athletic Bowl

ORLANDO, FLA. — For the second time in as many tries, the No. 10 North Carolina football team fell short of setting a new school record with 12 wins this season.

Behind a record-setting performance on the ground, No. 18 Baylor sprinted past UNC 49-38 during Tuesday’s Russell Athletic Bowl at Citrus Bowl Stadium, denying the Tar Heels of their winningest season in program history.

UNC (11-3) struck first when Marquise Williams connected with Brandon Fritts for a 9-yard touchdown about halfway through the first quarter. But the Tar Heels’ 7-0 edge marked their only lead of the game, as Baylor (10-3) scored touchdowns on four straight possessions to seize a 28-17 lead at halftime.

The Bears entered Tuesday’s game without quarterbacks Seth Russell and Jarrett Stidham, Biletnikoff Award-winning receiver Corey Coleman and running back Shock Linwood. All four players were sidelined because of injuries.

Sophomore Chris Johnson started for Baylor at quarterback, but five different players lined up under center for the Bears — who heavily utilized the wildcat formation.

Baylor dominated the line of scrimmage in the first half — setting a new bowl record for rushing yards in a game with 358 — and UNC appeared helpless.

While Baylor’s success continued into the second half, North Carolina still had a chance late in the third quarter. With his team trailing 35-24, Elijah Hood ripped off a 67-yard run that moved UNC to the Baylor 10-yard line. But two plays later, T.J. Logan fumbled into the end zone.

The Bears recovered the loose ball, and on the ensuing play, running back Johnny Jefferson scored on an 80-yard run to hand the Bears a 42-24 lead with 2:04 left in the third quarter.

Jefferson’s 80-yard scamper proved to be his defining moment, as he finished the contest with 299 rushing yards on 23 carries en route to claiming MVP honors.

And after winning 11 consecutive games following their season-opening loss to South Carolina to reach the ACC Championship, the Tar Heels dropped their final two games and were ultimately unable to secure win No. 12.

Quotable

“We thought they would throw it around a little bit more. We knew that the quarterback, (Johnson), would run it a little bit more with the quarterback runs. That's what we were expecting. And all they did was come out and just run it down and throw it. They got to have the same game plan, but when they realized they could just continue to run the football, there's no need to throw it.” — Coach Larry Fedora on what he expected from Baylor’s offense.

Notable

Junior receiver Mack Hollins was ejected midway through the third quarter for targeting after delivering a helmet-to-helmet hit on a block. The Tar Heels trailed 28-24 at the time, and the team seemed to have momentum after junior safety Dominquie Green hauled in an interception at the goal line on the previous play.

Three numbers that matter

645: Baylor rushed for 645 yards during Tuesday’s contest, setting a new record for the most rushing yards in any bowl game ever.

299: Jefferson’s 299 rushing yards marked the most by a UNC opponent in program history. Virginia Tech’s Mike Imoh previously held the record with 243 yards on the ground in 2004.

118: Hood rushed for 118 yards against the Bears to finish the year with 1,463 rushing yards — the second-highest single-season total in school history.

@patjames24