Beloved class brings alumni back to UNC

A group of alumni is proving academic discussion forms some of the strongest bonds in college.

Larry Goldberg, a lecturer in the English department, has taught “Elements of Politics” through the honors program to scores of UNC students since 1992.

During Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, Goldberg’s former “Elements of Politics” students attended three academic seminars and social events, where they discussed philosophical questions through historical works.

Rachel Gurvich, a visiting professor in the UNC School of Law and a former student of Goldberg’s, spearheaded organizing the event.

“We have 70 or more people traveling from all over the country. We’ve actually got some folks coming in internationally from London and Jerusalem that are alums of this class to get together for three academic seminars where we’ll be discussing philosophy and literature,” she said.

Gurvich said the symposium is held during the middle of January because it started as a 75th birthday celebration for Goldberg.

“A group of us that were still in touch with him were actually doing reading groups via Skype,” she said. “He led reading groups … on Friday nights and Thursday nights, so we would get together with people from all over the country and talk about The Tempest or some work of literature.”

Gurvich said the class itself is formatted as a seminar, with desks in a circle. She said everyone is addressed by their last name, and students learn through conversation instead of lecture.

Geoffrey Wessel, a 2003 graduate, said he took four semesters with Goldberg.

“It’s really true — my whole sense of morality, of how to live, what is the best way to live, how I should live my life grew out of mostly this class,” Wessel said.

Ben Lundin, a 2007 graduate and organizer of the symposium, said the event was a testament to the hundreds, if not thousands, of UNC students who have felt the impact of Goldberg’s class.

“As we’re all old and crotchety now with ‘real jobs,’ it’s nice for a time to get back to the roots of liberal education in reading and conversation on the most important topics, and I think that the symposium is an opportunity to do that,” Lundin said.

Goldberg said he is thrilled to see his former students enjoying themselves and continuing their readings into adulthood.

“What you really want when you’re teaching is that people will continue, not just sort of learn some stuff and move on, but they become thinkers and readers,” Goldberg said. “This is evidence that they have and that gives me a big thrill.”

Goldberg said he hoped he’d made better people through his teaching.

“There are seeds that are planted in the souls of these people, and that’s one of the reasons they come back,” Goldberg said. “And it enriches their lives and they’ll be better parents, and better friends, and better citizens because of this.”