CUAB's on snapchat — and they might add you back

The app has become one of the most popular outlets for students and organizations alike to spread their word. And according to UNC junior and CUAB’s vice president of outreach Boateng Kubi, CUAB is particularly suited to the immediate nature of Snapchat’s 24-hour stories.

“I think the idea of our Snapchat account was to get more of an in-depth view of our events. Usually what we do, if we have bigger events or even our minor events, is have the chairs conducting the event put the story of it on there and just basically tell people what’s going on to make it interactive,” said Kubi.

He set up the account in August as an extension of CUAB’s pre-existing social media presence on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram. Various members of the organization’s program board have access to the account to make sure that events are covered.

“Our Heels-on-Wheels event was a big one when we turned the Great Hall into a skating rink. We made a really cool story out of that, where we had people talk about the event and whether they enjoyed it, and had videos of people roller-skating and pictures and stuff like that,” Kubi said. “We also did that for our Halloween event, where we had people passing out candy and giving away free shirts.”

The account is particularly useful for senior Nylah Jimerson, who serves as the fun chairperson for CUAB.

“I feel like the best way to get to students, especially people our age, is through social media accounts, whether it’s Twitter or Instagram or Facebook, and it’s a lot more now with Snapchat. It’s the main way that we communicate with each other now, so to be able to reach students on that level is perfect,” Jimerson said. “I definitely like the account when we’re using it for events going on in the present, because it shows everyone what’s happening right now so that they can know if they’d even want to go to the event before they can get there.”

First-year Aislinn Antrim was unaware of the account, but said she would be interested in keeping up with CUAB.

“I’d like to see goofy, fun stuff. I’d follow it,” she said. “I went to their gingerbread house thing, and it was really fun.”

In the end, the account is part of CUAB’s larger search for student engagement.

“We’re always looking for ways to improve, so we’re always looking for feedback from students on what’s the best way to contact them or reach out to them,” Jimerson said.

“It’s a lot of trial and error — does Snapchat work? Do we get a lot of hits? — and so far it’s working out really well now.”

@rachelisbeyonce