Dey accident victim's family receives support from community

“We’re definitely feeling the love,” Chynces said.

Chynces’ father, Gaylan Bishop, suffered burns on approximately 40 percent of his body after an accident at Dey Hall caused a power outage throughout central campus on Jan. 20.

Eyewitnesses said they saw Bishop on fire come out of an electrical closet on the side of Dey Hall. This was confirmed by Neal O’Briant, a spokesperson for the North Carolina Department of Labor.

According to a GoFundMe page created to support Bishop and his family, he was in surgery for a few hours and then was moved to the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Hospitals.

He remains in the intensive care unit in critical condition.

Chynces, who is from out of state but is currently staying in Chapel Hill with her family, said Bishop is expected to remain at the burn center until October, but after that he will continue his recovery with physical therapy.

“Everything is kind of upside down,” she said.

In the four days since it was posted, the GoFundMe page has raised over $14,430.

The family has received visits, cards, balloons, gifts and food as well as the support from the GoFundMe page.

“It’s been absolutely unreal how much support we’ve felt at this point,” Chynces said.

Two of the people donating to the page are Kevin Guskiewicz, the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, and his wife Amy.

“He’s a member of the UNC family and it sounds like his family could really use some support right now,” she said.

Guskiewicz, whose family gave a $200 donation, said because her family has four children, like the Bishop family, they understood what kind of support they needed.

“The UNC community should come together whenever they can to help students, faculty, staff. You know, whatever someone can give is appreciated and helpful,” she said.

Another person active on the GoFundMe page was nursing professor Jean Davison, who heard about the page through an email from the nursing school.

Her post said, “we live near UNC burn center if your family needs a place to stay while visiting.”

Davison said she would have appreciated someone reaching out in that manner if she was in the Bishops’ situation.

“I myself have had situations like that where my brother went through a bout of cancer. My son, when he was little, had heart surgery, so I know how that can be,” she said.

Chynces said the family is grateful for support coming in from many different places, such as the GoFundMe, church groups and the University.

“We’ve had overwhelming support from people from the University,” she said.

“Definitely feeling the love and the family vibe from everyone.”