Five candidates are running for Student Body President

The candidates are Murphy Liu, Bradley Opere, Wilson Sink, John Taylor and Andrew Williamson.

“I love being involved and I want to support student action,” Williamson said.

Liu said he wants to make student government more effective by changing the power dynamics within the government and by getting more students involved.

“There are so many students who are apathetic or just don’t know anything about it,” Liu said.

Opere said his goal, as student body president, would be to bring people together, especially people who wouldn’t normally work together.

“I believe in the difference that every student brings to UNC, to work together, to bring a sense of community on campus,” Opere said.

Taylor said UNC is at an existential crossroads and he wants to help choose the right path.

“We’re seeing a lot of change has come to our university, you know, and I would just like to be a part of it,” Taylor said.

Sink said he is running for president because North Carolina is his home, and UNC has become a part of that.

“I’m excited to get the chance to serve it the best way I can and make sure this place feels like home for everybody,” Sink said.

Student body presidential candidates will have to collect 1,250 signatures on their petitions by Feb. 2.

This year, candidates can’t speak to groups larger than five and may not give speeches, make public appearance or participate in debates until they become official candidates.

On Feb. 2, candidates will post official profiles through a UNC website, explaining their platforms and experience.

Candidates for other positions must also collect signatures to get on the ballot.

Travis Broadhurst and incumbent Taylor Bates have both declared candidacy for Residence Hall Association president.

And Elizabeth Grady and Rich Burris are running unopposed for Senior Class President and Vice President.

Candidate meetings on Monday and Tuesday also kicked off campaigns for Student Congress representatives.

General elections will take place Feb. 9. In the case of a run-off, elections will be held again on Feb. 16.