Goldstock embraces leadership vision

The men's lacrosse team scrimmaged Limestone on Thursday night, Jan. 28. So. William McBride (14) prepares to fight for the ball.

Those 50 goals combined with 17 assists put Goldstock in third in total points for the Tar Heels. No. 1 and No. 2, Jimmy Bitter and Joey Sankey, led the team in points with 78 and 72, respectively. Bitter was drafted in the third round of the Major League Lacrosse draft by the Ohio Machine, and the Charlotte Hounds picked Sankey with the first pick of the second round.

And with their departure, all eyes now turn to Goldstock to carry the load — both as an offensive threat and as a seasoned leader.

Steve Pontrello, a senior attackman, will now shoulder more of the offensive burden alongside Goldstock. He says this year’s team will be a little different offensively.

“Last year, we had Jimmy and Joey,” Pontrello said. “We were really fortunate to have those guys who were good at scoring and assisting, but I think we’ll have a more balanced offense this year.”

That balanced offense will have an improved player in Goldstock. Everyone knows he can shoot, but as an upperclassman, he knows more is expected of him as a leader.

“Just his IQ overall has improved from year to year,” Pontrello said. “From his freshman year til now, he knows little stuff to do that he’s teaching the other guys. I think it’s great to have a leader like that.”

Coach Joe Breschi couldn’t agree more, especially when he talks about Goldstock’s improvement as a player.

This growth has been even more noticeable this week, especially in Thursday night’s scrimmage against Limestone. Goldstock had two assists to go with his three back-to-back-to-back goals as the Tar Heels won the scrimmage 18-12.

“He’s really come out in these scrimmages this week and has distributed the ball very well,” Breschi said. “He’s not just a shooter, which he can do, but he gets everybody involved. He’s the veteran back there.”

Breschi noted improvements in Goldstock’s vision, being able to draw double teams and dish the ball off to an open teammate. But Breschi knows Goldstock can make his game even better.

“I think his dodging ability has gotten better as well,” Breschi said. “But I think as he continues to take that to the next level, I think it’ll make him a top, All-American type of player.”

Goldstock says he’s worked on improving his vision and play-making ability. The 2015 team, according to Goldstock, had players who could win one-on-one matchups and score seemingly at will.

But with this season’s team focusing on scoring through the scheme, Goldstock says he’s not concerned with his production.

“I think we’re more worried about the whole offense scoring,” Goldstock said. “If I have zero goals, but our offense scores 15, I’m fine with that as long as we’re winning.”

@WCCarp