Letter: Greeks need inclusive policy changes

This letter is in response to the recent article regarding LGBTQ members in Greek organizations across campus.

As a queer student not involved in Greek life at UNC, I would wholeheartedly disagree with Seth Paterson’s statement that homophobia is not a problem within the Interfraternity Council. It would seem to me that LGBTQ students, as well as students of color, are those most ostracized and marginalized by IFC fraternities.

LGBTQ students are repeatedly told by IFC fraternity members that if they were to pledge a fraternity, they would not receive a bid because they are LGBTQ. This is not something that is alluded to; these are words coming directly from those IFC fraternity members who control the bidding process.

While I sympathize with Mr. Paterson’s discomfort in painting stereotypes about the IFC community, I challenge him to reconsider his implication that all LGBTQ students are ineligible, uncapable or undeserving of membership within the IFC merely due to their sexual or gender identity. Furthermore, I see his statement that you cannot “force” an environment of inclusion and mutual tolerance as merely a disguise for bigotry and an excuse for maintaining the status quo of institutionalized LGBTQ discrimination.

I hope that IFC fraternities would consider adopting a non-discrimination ordinance that would allow interested LGBTQ students to pledge those organizations. Perhaps the best way to foster an LGBTQ-friendly environment in Greek life at UNC is through mutual understanding of the lived experiences of LGBTQ students.

Justin Stidham

Senior

Political science